Lamintis or founder

Help Support Steer Planet:

sharriec

We have a show steer that has become very sore footed... getting 20 lbs of mix corn and cotten seed hulls with protein pellet..(complet feed)  we are adding a 1lb of whole oats and champion drive at 1 lb and were just switching to powerfuel... we are 30 days from our end show...we gave banamine and soaked his feet last night.. will not give any grain today just grass hay... any other ideas...

Boot Jack Bulls

The bull in my avatar did the same thing about 2 days ago! He was getting a few too many range cubes for treats and overdosed on protein. Gave banamine, took away all grain (or range cubes) and rinsed legs a couple of times a day for about 1/2 hour. Soft ground is also a must, not easy in some parts of the country I know. Not fun or fast, but he is on the mend. I am trying to get him ready for World Beef Expo ( he was champion Limi bull the last 2 years), so I know  it never happens when it would hurt least. Also, maybe coat feet in iodine in case he's got pasture rot. Good Luck!

sharriec

I have heard that Vitaman B and some kind of pepto bismal or bicarbonate (Bakingsoda) ... can anyone tell me what this is called in the cattle world.. and does it come in bolus form or liquid

cowman 52

BakiNg soda from the grocery store!!!
  Don't just rinse the feet, let him stand in the water, the feet fever horribly,  so do what you can to cool them off,  if you caught it quick enough,  mineral oil to clean him out,  and start back with a cool feed,  lot of hulls, and little energy. 
Mud is a good deal also, it tends to draw heat

CAB

Call your vet asap. You need correct advice asap to get the calf taken care of as best you can. If it is founder, you a correct combination of different meds.

DL

sharriec said:
We have a show steer that has become very sore footed... getting 20 lbs of mix corn and cotten seed hulls with protein pellet..(complet feed)  we are adding a 1lb of whole oats and champion drive at 1 lb and were just switching to powerfuel... we are 30 days from our end show...we gave banamine and soaked his feet last night.. will not give any grain today just grass hay... any other ideas...

If your show is in 30 days I hope you gave the Banamine IV otherwise you are in danger of a violative residue