Laptops

Help Support Steer Planet:

Ruchian

I am going to be buying a laptop soon and was wondering what people had and what they like or disliked about it.

Doc

I've got 2 Dell's. One Inspiron E1505 & one Vostro. Have XP on both. You can still get XP thru June 18th on Dells website , I think. My desktop is a Dell also. I've had real good luck with them. The Vostro is not a bad unit & definitely worth the money.

garett

We have an Dell Inspiron 1521, I love it. It is a very nice computer and has a lot of nice features. It cost some, but it is worth it. They usually have some good deals, we got it with a printer and everything!

ShowmanQ

I also have a Dell E1505 I love it...when i am at my desk i use a wirelss keyboard and mouse causeIi like the regular mouse better and the numer keys on the left side. It is a great computer!!

Dusty

I got an HP Pavillion.  I am very satisified so far.  It is one of the bigger models with a 17" screen and a 10 key number pad to the right of the keyboard.(If you are working with #'s a lot I couldn't do it any other way)  It was fairy cheap too... I think I got it for 750

chambero

My company uses HPs.

The biggest decision is do you want small or do you want a "desktop replacement".  If you are using it as your only computer (like I do), I like the ones with full-size keyboards (same size and spacing between keys as desktops - still not as big as a desktop keyboard) and bigger screens.

I've never had a Mac, but never heard anyone who did gripe about them.

knabe

mac's are great for archiving photos, video's and regular desktop stuff.  some children's software is not compatible with OSX, so i just go to the apple store for that.  obviously some games are not available, but with consoles, who cares.  i still like the navigation of macs.  you can also emulate unix, and window's on a mac, something pc's can't do.  choices are limited, but in a good way, usually limited to 3 tiers.  most features are integrated nicely on macs.  they cost more, always have, always will.  but then if you don't want to pay for cosmetics, get a pc.  to me, it's like purchasing a car.  one usually doesn't get the cheapest, the go for the options, then try and save 2-300 bucks on a computer.  to me, the daily navigation saves me so much time, especially with separate logins for kids so they can't delete stuff accidentily.

i've had an apple ever since about 1978 starting with visicalc, the first spreadsheet, not excel.  i was employee 300, so i kind of have a soft spot for them.  made a little money with stock and free computers to pay for college.

kanshow

We have 2 Dells - one is an older INspiron and the other is new but can't remember what it is.  Anyway the nice thing about Dell is the service.    I had a problem with my laptop and was in a panic - I use it a lot in my business.  THey had the FedEx guy pick it up that day and it was back in 2 days.    Fantastic service.   

My daughter has an Acer and when it worked it was great, but she started encountering some little problems with it and we can't get service on it to save our lives.  We bought the extra warranty from Staples on it and can't get them to work with us on it either.   

knabe

service is worth it unless you have a backup system, about $150/drive and you consider the computer "disposable"

SWMO

Have had no problems with my Dells.  Have two desktops and one laptop.

I have shipped alot of ACER's back to the company for people that purchased them at Wal Mart and Best Buy.  Don't think I would recommend an ACER based on how many go back with problems.

shortyjock89

(lol) looks like I got lucky then SWMO.  I bought a cheap Acer so I could take it around and maybe bang it up a little bit....but it's better than our Dell desktop.  I've had no problems with it.  I will keep that in mind for the next time I go looking for one though, thanks!

the_resa86

I had a Dell desktop and switched to a Macbook recently and love it. I never had any problems with my Dell but for what I want to do a Mac was necessary.  If you have the money I would recommend a Mac just because you don't have near the problems.  Also I would make sure to steer clear of Compaq, my sister has one and has only had problems with it.