Last Grass Standing

Help Support Steer Planet:

Bulldaddy

Yesterday, I turned the cows into our last pasture with any grass.  Soon the creek will be dry as well.  Many Texas ranchers have it much worse than we do.  I know that the mid-west has been devasted by floods and tornados but drought is much less flamboyant and rarely makes the headlines.  Perhaps if we turned the water off to the golf course, we could get our president to recognize the problem and provide us with some disaster assistance.

Okotoks

Possum Trot Ranch said:
Yesterday, I turned the cows into our last pasture with any grass.  Soon the creek will be dry as well.  Many Texas ranchers have it much worse than we do.  I know that the mid-west has been devasted by floods and tornados but drought is much less flamboyant and rarely makes the headlines.  Perhaps if we turned the water off to the golf course, we could get our president to recognize the problem and provide us with some disaster assistance.
I hope the rains come soon! Drought is hard to deal with.

DLB

I am with you on the drought....I live about and hour east of San Antonio.  Boy it's starting to look rough out there.  I culled pretty hard last year and got rid of some cows and fertilized the place.....so I am just now bearing the pain of the drought. If the Midwest wants to bottle up the rain and send it our way-we'll take it! 

LN

I'm an hour south of San Antonio and this week we're moving cows to pastures that still have a little grass left. Our stocking numbers are down too so we've been ok but it's gonna get really rough in a few weeks without any significant rainfall. There's some in the forecast this week. Let it rain!

rocknmranch

So who is carrying all the stocker steers? I know we are doing ok. Just getting ready to hay, about a month late because we had late rains.

Anyone want to go in on some steers. We've got about 400 acers of irrigated and 400+ of winter, dry ground.

Cattledog

Sure do hope you guys get something soon!  I know all of you are doing your best just to scrape by.  I don't think I'll ever complain about rain again until I know everyone's had their fair share!

J

JTM

Not much more frustrating in the cattle business than drought. In Ohio we had so much rain that we had other issues, but none like those that come with drought. Hope and pray it rains for you guys.