Late calf for an old cow

Help Support Steer Planet:

Joe Boy

I have a question for all the experts.  In the snow a 12 year gave birth behind the shelterbelt (several rows of trees planted east to west in the late 1940's and early 1950's).  From my AI date she was 15 days late.  Is that possible or did the bull cover her later....like 10 days after my breeding date?

Show Heifer

I am not an expert, but my thought is she was late. How big was the calf? That might help!

DL

Hey Joe Boy - could be either ! Yeah I know that helps you a lot! "Normal" calves can be born +/- 30 days to each side of the due date, although the vast majority are born a week on either side and almost all 2 weeks on either side. The only way to know for sure is DNA (ie verify the sire). That's the long answer, the short answer is yes it is possible! (or could be 6 dyas early to bull bred date)  ;D

cold, windy, snowing,  (cow) calf due....DL

Joe Boy

She was 10 days late last year with a 95 lb heifer, and this one was a bull and weighs 99.  A couple of years ago she had an 80 lb heifer on the due date.... so this is a mystery to me.  the Vet confirmed by AI date and then she was this late....makes me wonder....it does not help but both bulls are black and the calf is black with a couple of white spots out of the mostly red shortie.  The calf is doing great and looks like he has gained 10 lbs already.

Thanks...

red

Joe, since she has gone late before & due dates can vary as much as 14 days, I'm betting the daddy is the AI bull. Are you going to DNA him?

Red

Joe Boy

Probably not.  If he looks like a keeper or if he were a she, I would.  Where he is going it matters not.....