latest food scare

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

a preliminary finding has identified rat poison in wheat used for pet food to be the culprit.  if this proves to be the case, why are companies in north america purchasing wheat from china, shipping it here, don't we grow wheat over here?  I have always had my doubts about China's ability to provide safety for american consumers via there EPA, USDA equivalents, particularly with lead paints in childrens toys, etc, and now food safety. the rat poison is supposedly outlawed for use in the US and used to kill cancer, kill cancer. why are we always comprimising our safety and not requiring the country of origin the burden of proof as they do for us, such as BSE, on and on.  the cost of safety should be factored into the cost, not as a cost afterward by us.  what is wrong with congress?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=2975912&page=1&US=true

red

I saw that too Knabe. confused about the origin of the wheat too.
We get beef banned for supposedly testing positive for BSE but yet other countries can ship what ever.

I love your profile picture. We have a nesting pair of Bald Eagles just down the road from us. I am into raptors/birds of prey.

Red

knabe

on my property i have a few nesting pairs of loggerhead shrikes and numerous swallows that nest in mud nest in the barn.  the shrikes look like tiny mockingbirds with a mask over their eyes and they have a slightly curved down beak for ripping flesh.  they catch the swallows on the fly and hang them on the barbed wire fence or thorns of osage orange trees or black locust, eat their heads off and leave the carcass for a couple of days and come back for more.  there is lots of research on this bird for some reason, they are kind of endangered.  they usually have 2-4 babies and are quite vulnrerable to predation themselves by cats and other birds.  they also do the same thing with lizards and stink bugs.  the stink bugs they stab them in the back in the thorax EVERY time.  i've never seen them eat the beetles.  they just seem to have fun killing.  they fly low and straight and perform intercepts rather than erratic flight to catch.  they have short wings, flap a lot per second so they can carry almost their body weight.  totally awesome bird.  the picture i posted is the best one i have ever seen about them hanging prey and i took it!  since i have red-legged frogs, tiger salamander and fairy shrimp on my property, in addition to the shrikes, and sometimes kit foxes, that someday the environmentalists will come in and "protect" my property.  It's amazing how simple it is to protect wild animals with a little diversity and shelter.  got bush bunnies, jack rabbits, and of course gophers, squirrels, the occasional golden eagle flys overhead and comes down if something is interesting.  they are awesome and really irridescent.  also have a native short tailed mouse which is endangered as well as native ants which our native horny toads only eat because they won't eat the argintine ants and are starving to death.  there is an ant researcher at stanford who has a really neat book about ants and what they eat and how you can attract them which sounds weird.  we also have velvet ants that come in three colors, orange, red and yellow.  we have lots of flycatcher's though not near as beautiful as the scissor tailed fly catcher, which is the state bird of Oklahoma.  that bird is so awesome how it catches flies.  and we also have bluebirds, purple martins.  ok  too much.

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/er/factsheets/birds/shrike.htm

genes

Hey I think I did a paper on some phylogenetics research about the loggerhead shrikes ... or a closely related shrike...can't quite remember.  But journal articles don't have pictures, so you just filled that in for me :)

cowz

This is a dumb question, but I'll bet someone has an opinion here.  If we are not including blood and bone meal in ruminant feed anymore, doesn't that make it more accessible to the pet food industry.  I cant see any way possible how it could be cheaper to haul Chinese gluten meal all the way over here??  What do you think?

red

good point! What do they do w/ it now?
I guess I thought China had food shortages of their won. Surprised they would be shipping wheat for pet foods.
Red

Latest posts