Launter Bulls 2010

Help Support Steer Planet:

carl s.

AJ, I fully realize somebody could say the sky is blue and you’d find a way to seque that into a discussion of why anybody who even attends a steer show should never be allowed near cattle again.  However, what the hell is it you think you are replying to because if it was me you aren’t making a darn bit of sense.

cowman

Judging off a picture = foolish.

There is only one way to judge any bull...show me his calves. I have to see them on the hoof to even try them. Most people would be shocked by what these bulls really look like, but the smart people use the parts and pieces they need even if they look poor on one given day. Truth be told a perfect bull is useless, because you'll always be disappointed in the calves.

knabe

cowman said:

There is only one way to judge any bull...show me his calves. I have to see them on the hoof to even try them. Most people would be shocked by what these bulls really look like, but the smart people use the parts and pieces they need even if they look poor on one given day. Truth be told a perfect bull is useless, because you'll always be disappointed in the calves.

does that mean seeing the wrecks too?  agree on the pieces comment.  the comment on looking poor on one day versus every day in a picture is foolish as well.

C-CROSS

We liked Texas Twister at Denver and visited with the people whom raised him.  Thought he may work on some of our horns. 

Show Heifer

carl s. said:
Why the bull studs let idiots with cameras within a hundred miles of their bulls in working clothes is beyond me.  As much as people ***** about bulls being fed, fit, and photoshoped, heaven help the bull who is seen without it. 

Your joking right?  There is a huge difference between a bull in working clothes versus a bull so crippled up they can hardly move. To say the photo that knabe posted is a "bull in working clothes" is like say "there is a disagreement in the middle east."

Agree cowman, many wouldn't use Meyer 734 OR Cunia if they judged off their photo alone.  I actually owned a bull that would have been a contender in the ugliest bull in the world contest, but man, could he sire fast growing calves, and unbelievable daughters. Kept him till he was 9, then just had too many daughters.

Aj, youre a hoot!!  (clapping)

cowman

the comment on looking poor on one day versus every day in a picture is foolish as well.
[/quote]

Not foolish if the parts you need are still there and a bull is just wrung out, "looking poor" does not mean crippled, it can be for a variety of reasons.

yuppiecowboy

I am curious who the bull Knabe pictured is. His feet do look rather incorrect, other than that he looks like a yearling bull calf thrown to the elements to me. He may lay down and die, but he will have a smile on his face.

Fact is alot of things happen to make a bull, especially a young one, look "tough". Running them hard and early can wring one out real quick.

Some of the best breeding cattle I have ever known were flat out fugly to look at. Shorthorns are infamous for having near dead looking cows with rockstar babies beside them.

You quit looking at the bull as soon as the calves hit the ground.

If it takes an ugly crippled midget to throw a great one, people are going to breed to ugly crippled midgets.

knabe

i agree with most if not all the comments on why to use bulls like this.  i also said i can't figure it out.  the things this bull will "correct" is volume, especially through the front end.  i'm not going to say who he is, as mentioned, it wouldn't be fair to the owner.

farwest

Wow. 125 bulls on that page. Would it be fair to say lautner probably has well over half the club calf semen corralled ? What's the limit.

cytime

I agree with alot of what you people are sayin on here about how someone can use pieces of a bull in their herd n make it work for them.. However, jst because one bull works for a persons herd, doesnt mean hes gonna work for urs..  When dealin with 3 way cross cattle it really is a crap shoot on what you are going to get.

Another thing that bothers me when readin some of these post on here is that people say I like this bull pics i'm thinkin about usin him.. I think too many people go off a pic use the bull and then scratch their head when the cross doesn't work for them..A good clip job and the rite photographer can turn an average 2 poor bull into a great one.. I would never use a bull without seein him or seein a great amount of calves out of him.. And see what type of cows hes workin on/ what bloodlines is clickin wit that bull...And with that reason I don't get 2 whooped up on new bulls... Let them prove themselves first..

Throttle

worthabit said:
I like Big Jimmy. He looks the longest, deepest and softest made. He also is not a Heat wave! I don't know much about Jimmy the Greek, are there many females out of him producing?

Does anybody else get a picture of Tiger Woods when they click on True Blood?
I don't know about this bull, but just from looking at Jimmy the Greek as a calf and at a year old, I would not look to that line of genetics for females. I could be wrong, but he is about as freaky as they come

muleman

Saw most of those bulls in Phoenix at the ANLS, or 15 bulls that he was thinking of taking to denver. He trucked out 15 bulls to clip out after the show for denver. The 3 best structured bulls before any clipping was a red one with a couple of white dots on the show side, the blonde one with the white on the tail, and a heat wave clone that was born on 2-4-09. A picture is worth a thousand words.

mark tenenbaum

I still allways gravitate to a Hereford ShorthornX-dont see enough of them-and they cross so good with alot of cattle-the non-clubby bred black bull(went back to who and ?) looked like hed have some predictability-along with the clean heatseeker-the red ones were just cool to look at-red aint dead O0

jbh

cowman said:

EXACTLY RIGHT!!!!!  Well said.

WFCC

its unreal how much semen they will sell just from the pictures. I can see quite a few get a little straight and turn out in the front.  And dont forget the photoshop!  Few bulls interesting pedigrees, anyone else think that some of those bulls look very moderate?

Show Steaks

My analysis of the bulls
3 of the 15 have semen available( i know still maybe a little early to aska  yearling to produce)
1 of 15 has th-pha listed
Missisippi Stud toes out as bad or worse than his sire
Indian Outlaw sired by same bull as carpe diem (tank is sired by heat seeker)
Texas Twister looks the smallest of the group
Gonna pick maxim as my favorite but i think i'll use optimus prime or bpf detonater before the rest of the new bulls

DLD

A lot of those bulls from Lautners lineup get leased out for fall breeding in this part of the country.  I've had the opportunity to see several of them out on cows in the past few years, and I think many of you might be surprised at how impressive some of them are.  Obviously some of them, especially the younger ones, will get pretty wrung out from working hard, but I've certainly liked some of them much better after seeing them mature and at work than I did before.

Bone2011

DLD said:
A lot of those bulls from Lautners lineup get leased out for fall breeding in this part of the country.  I've had the opportunity to see several of them out on cows in the past few years, and I think many of you might be surprised at how impressive some of them are.  Obviously some of them, especially the younger ones, will get pretty wrung out from working hard, but I've certainly liked some of them much better after seeing them mature and at work than I did before.
I would venture to say they had half of his bulls leased up here this summer. The one that really stuck out was jimmy the greek, he was pretty neat.

DLD

GC said:
I would venture to say they had half of his bulls leased up here this summer. The one that really stuck out was jimmy the greek, he was pretty neat.

I haven't seen Jimmy, but the one that I've seen that's impressed me the most so far is Leroy Brown. Definitely makes me excited that we (hopefully) have a couple bred to him for next fall - right now, I kinda wish I'd used him a little more.