Lauterbach Sale

Help Support Steer Planet:

hairy

I watched the Lauterbach sale on the webcast today.  Noticed that three PHAC bulls brought $7750, $6000 and $6100.  The second high seller
which was PHAF/THC brought $9000.  The three PHAC bulls were in the top 1/3 of the high sellers.  Granted the first question that comes to
mind is "what would they have brought if they were non-carriers?"  But the fact is they are carriers and they brought some pretty good money.
So, I was just wanting to see what some of your thoughts are.

OH Breeder

What lots were they?
How did the heifers sell? Looks like a pretty good group of cattle.

knabe

hairy said:
I watched the Lauterbach sale on the webcast today.  Noticed that three PHAC bulls brought $7750, $6000 and $6100.  The second high seller
which was PHAF/THC brought $9000.  The three PHAC bulls were in the top 1/3 of the high sellers.  Granted the first question that comes to
mind is "what would they have brought if they were non-carriers?"  But the fact is they are carriers and they brought some pretty good money.
So, I was just wanting to see what some of your thoughts are.

as some breeders have figured out this dilemna, prices may temporarily spike higher for the good "free" cattle, they will adjust back down as the "free" cattle increase.

more people trying to create good one's from carriers can only end up delaying the inevitable.  best to leave this to the people who created this mess instead of "training" new ones.

Show Heifer

Hairy - Have you heard the saying "there is a sucker born every minute?"  Answer your question?? ;)

chambero

A lot of people just don't care.

We just got through selling two pens of heifers (10 pairs each) in Fort Worth.  All of our heifers were "clean" by pedigree but not tested.  Every heifers was AI'd back for their second calf and cleaned up with a Lifeline x Angus son (a clean bull).

Pen No. 1 - AI'd back to Picasso and Tyson.  Only three "struck", but rest were pregant to cleanup bull.  This pen was the Reserve Champion Exotic pen beating some top breeders.

Pen No. 2 - AI'd back to Heat Wave.  7 stuck.  Frankly I thought this was our better pen, but there wasn't much difference between Pen No. 1.  Judges liked Pen No. 1 better.

Want to guess which pen brought $400 per head more than the other?  (Actually I'd already posted it).  The ones bred back to Heat Wave.  I told everyone that asked about our cattle the differences between the two pens and the cautions associated with the ones bred back to Heat Wave.  I didn't want any unsuspecting buyers calling back next fall griping about a C-section or two.

There was a pen of Heat Seeker grandaughters that weren't tested that sold.  They brought more than our first pen.  Most people (particularly Griswold) had every one of their heifers from carrier lines tested and results on spreadsheets at the sale.

People still want what wins regardless of potential side effects.  You can buck it if you want to, but most don't care and if you want to make money you have to sell what people want.  Most people are fully aware of the issue now, they just don't care.

That being said, there still isn't a solid correlation between PHA and winning.