learning to AI

Help Support Steer Planet:

SKF

Today my 13yr old daughter completed her first day of AI class. She learned alot and really enjoyed it but is feeling very overwhelmed. It was a lot harder then she thought it would be when they finally got to start practicing on real cows today. how long did it take you to learn how to AI? How long did it take before you became proficient? Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!

Cowboy

Tell that young lady to keep her enthusiasum HIGH, it is a very fun an enjoyable thing to see your first born baby, from a service YOU did -- great feeling!

First -- have her read, re-read, and read again all the printed info she can -- get very comfortable with terminology.

If she can, before she has to go out in the real world -- try and get as much time as possible on the preserved tracts on the table at school -- not a real feeling so much, but a real confidence builder for the younger folks.

I am sure that what ever school sheis going to is going to go to extra lenghts for her being so young. Take advantage of it all, so that when she leaves there -- she can't wait to get home and breed a real heat cow. If she can get it done to those old sale barn rejects, she will be a whiz on good cows!

CHIN UP girl -- Proud of ya!

Terry

cowman 52

practice is the Only way to get good-  it was years before it seemed like it came to me, now we breed close to 4000 head annually and to be honest I don't really think about it  it just seems to happen easily.  if you can get the repro tracts from the slaughter house use them as often as you can aquire but just stay up to date & DO NO GET FRUSTRATED-  time will make you good ;)

BAILEYFARMS

cowman 52 said:
practice is the Only way to get good-  it was years before it seemed like it came to me, now we breed close to 4000 head annually and to be honest I don't really think about it  it just seems to happen easily.  if you can get the repro tracts from the slaughter house use them as often as you can aquire but just stay up to date & DO NO GET FRUSTRATED-  time will make you good ;)
I second.

OH Breeder

I have been doing it for about 5 years and still feel like I learn something new every year. The shape feel etc of the tract. The best way to get better is practice. It is tough. I like the 5-6 year old cow that has had  few calves and have a nice big cervix they make your job alot easier. Tell her to keep up the work.

JSchroeder

Especially with young girls, make sure you help with her confidence.  You come out of the class with all the confidence you could have (inspiring confidence is part of the job of the teacher) but I know of two young ladies that took the classes and no longer AI because they got discouraged right out of the gate.

It does take a bit of strength in your hands to do it and when combined with the inevitable fumbling around the first time you do it on your own it can be tough.  Don't have her try to breed important young cows/heifers until she gets her feet under her.

DakotaCow

I agree. I took 3 day school with Select Sires and had it figured out the first day and proceeded to help students the next two days. I have averaged over 80 percent on 400 head of moo moo's and continue to learn every year. Patience is a must. (thumbsup)

GLC

Practice as much as you can, "if you don't use it, you'll lose it". I've been doing it for 28 yrs. and I know people that took the classes, but didn't AI about 15 cows a year. They don't know how any more, so they call me. So
a lot of practice is needed. Good luck with it.