Leasing programs for club calves - for kids

Help Support Steer Planet:

Tallcool1

-XBAR- said:
Tallcool1 said:
To me, what makes those two scenarios different is the spirit of the transaction.  If the spirit of the transaction is for the trader/producer to live through an exhibitor and put a whipping on everyone each weekend, that is wrong.  If the spirit of the transaction is for the trader/producer to extend an act of kindness and give a helping hand to a deserving exhibitor or family with NO regard for the ultimate success in the show ring, then I am all for it.

I think you have to keep in mind that the success that calf has is a reflection on the breeder just as much as the kid showing it.  I wouldn't 'loan' out a calf that I didn't think was going to be competitive.  The promotion of 'my stock' would be one of the incentives for me to engage in that type of arrangement.  The first steer I ever showed was "sponsored" by one of our subs.  The only stipulation was that I had to put a sign advertising his ranch where my calf was stalled.  I don't see anything wrong w/ this. It's a win - win.

I hear ya on the part about not loaning out a calf that wouldn't be competitive.  However, in my mind a middle of the pack calf IS competitive to a kid or family that really doesn't have the financial ability to buy one at all.

As far as loaning or leasing out a calf that is capable of going to the backdrop week in and week out......don't do it.  If the calf is that good, there is no way it is worth the risk.  Either sell the calf and turn it into cash, or keep her at home where she is safe.  That is the way I would look at it if she was mine.

Again, I am the one that has already said that the quality of the calf is a deal breaker for me.

We don't have to agree on this.  These are just my opinions. 

vc

I'm with you on that one, if a heifers that good she is either sold or kept at home. If your program is good your average heifer should be able to go and compete, maybe not win but compete. In our bigger shows if your standing in the top 3 or 4 in your class your in good company both in quality and dollar amount.
If you know the kid and know they will work on the animal, I think they would be happy showing a nice animal, does not have to be a great one. Sometimes those nice ones can turn out to be great, bonus.

jbzdad

I think steers and heifers are different... sell steers for what you can and it is likely the kids and their families will figure out a cost they can afford

I have sold heifers cheep and kept some flush rights and have sold heifers with a planned buy back... if I get possession back I plan on paying at least the major costs of the feed... some families want to try to show a heifer but 3-5 bucks daily in feed costs without some payback gets kinda tough

The families get flush rights if I get the female back

we always sign a paper.. it is good experience for the kid and it at least gives some document to fall back on