Left Handers?

Help Support Steer Planet:

blackcows

Both of my daughters are going to be showing in their first year of 4-H, my oldest daughter is 11 and a left hander.  Over the last few days we have been using the showstick a little bit and it has been very akward for her as she is left handed.  Any other lefties out there?  Is it something you get used to?

Mike

inthebarnagain

She just needs to work at it.  I don't know any that are comfortable, right or left handed when they first start using a showstick.  I am left handed and got used to it.  My daughter is right handed and was just as awkward as anyone else when she started

shortyjock89

Yeah, I'm left handed...I never really felt like the show stick was awkward in my right hand. I use the halter to set feet as much or more than the stick, so it was pretty natural.  Keep at it, I'm sure it will come.  After I started showing, and having to use both hands for things like clipping, fitting, and of course showing, I became mostly ambidextrous, but I still write left handed.

garett

I'm also left-handed, and using the show stick hasn't really been a problem. Just tell her to keep at it...it will come along.
As far as clipping, my right hand isn't quite as steady as my left.

Telos

I'm a lefty too. I feel more comfortable holding the stick a little lower and letting the handle part to rest on the bottom side of my wrist or forearm area to get more leverage. Practicing with the show stick will help get those lefties more coordinated and stronger.

I think more times then not the show stick is over used. The less you need it the better. Like OFS said, pulling foreward or back on the halter is a great way to help set the feet and works well in conjunction with the show stick.

Jill

My youngest son is left handed, I never even gave it a thought that it might be different.

shortyjock89

Jill said:
My youngest son is left handed, I never even gave it a thought that it might be different.

I never knew it to be any different either.

sawboss

My youngest son, age 12 is left handed and really struggled in shifting the stick from his left hand in the lead position to his right hand for show position.  It seemed to take him forever to get ready.  With a little practice it worked out fine, he feels in better control of the animals head while using his dominant left hand.  The key to all showmen is teaching them to walk their animal into their proper stance, thus eliminating having to use the stick a lot.  Good luck!

AAOK

Interesting Topic!  This is something I had never thought about.  As most lefties, I have always used my right hand to do all the traditional right-handed tasks; scissors, shooting, showstick, etc.  I even learned to bat right handed before is discovered I could bat just as well from the left.  The toughest time I ever had using my right hand was brushing my teeth while I had a broken left hand (which by the way was during the 1995 Jr Natl MA show in Des Moines).  I use my right hand most of the time for fitting cattle, so that wasn't really a problem either.

blackcows, I think your daughter will excel with the show stick.  Lefties are just superior; that's all there is to it!

garett

AAOK said:

Lefties are just superior; that's all there is to it!

Isnt that the truth. Off the topic of the show stick, but when I was younger, my uncle had me convinced that I needed to get a left-handed bike. I thought that sounded like a good idea then.  (lol)

AAOK

Garett said:
AAOK said:

Lefties are just superior; that's all there is to it!

Isnt that the truth. Off the topic of the show stick, but when I was younger, my uncle had me convinced that I needed to get a left-handed bike. I thought that sounded like a good idea then.  (lol)

1 Karma point for agreeing with me!!!!!

shortyjock89

CAB said:
You've got me sold on it. I'm going to go out and try to be left handed. LOL.

I'm glad you are coming over to our side now.  Truth be told, I think lefties have some serious advantages..and not only in sports haha.

farmboy

i can bat left handed but that took some time, i look like a retard flailing around trying to throw left handed, i took a strength test thing on my hands and my left was about 40 points higher then my right ???

CAB

I think the right handed world has did you left handers a favor. I'm jealous. I think that they forced you to use both hands. I think sometimes that  my left hand gets in the way more times than not, but I am by nature cumbsy. I really admire people that can manage soo well with one hand and not complain one bit about what life has dealt them. That goes for all handicapped PPL. I applaud you all .

Cowboy

Hey every one -- have a few minutes wait time on the ET freezer, so look what I find on here!! hehehe

Just so every one knows, this Cowboy is LEFT HANDED -- I flush and breed with my right arm -- and do every thing including writting with my left. And I thought I was a nerd -- I was told whenI was real young by my 4th grade teacher that unless I became "Correct" handed, she would never let me graduate to the next grade! I was young, but I still told the old bat to kiss off, it was what it was!!! hehehe

The worst time I ever had being left handed was in the service -- back in 72 in Viet Nam -- they didn't make LEFT handed rifles -- so every time IHad to shoot -- the darn shell would fly out and go right down my shirt !! Can we say HOT STUFF

Oh well -- now I feel vindicated -- haven't seen a cow complain to me yet -- so it must be OK!

Terry

justme

When at a clipping clinic way back in my college days....our herdsman made us use both hands to clip.  Said that we should get use to holding the clippers in each hand.  Now, I know I'm no pro clipping but I'm glad he told me to do it, sure did make clipping this year a lot easier.

hehehe guess hubby maybe without a clipping job soon!  my daughter says "Girl Power!" lol.  Off topic I know but hey its a leftie story (lol) (clapping)

blackcows

Telos said:
I think more times then not the show stick is over used. The less you need it the better. Like OFS said, pulling foreward or back on the halter is a great way to help set the feet and works well in conjunction with the show stick.

I agree, my youngest daughter also shows horses in which you don't use a stick just pressure on the halter to set the animal up correctly.

blackcows

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
CAB said:
You've got me sold on it. I'm going to go out and try to be left handed. LOL.

I'm glad you are coming over to our side now.  Truth be told, I think lefties have some serious advantages..and not only in sports haha.

We certainly notice an advantage in sports.  Living is a smaller school district there aren't any other lefties that are involved in sports so she gets a lot of playing time in soccer and basketball on the left side. 

Mike

shortyjock89

Yes sir, I got my share of playing time in soccer as well.  It came in handy in baseball too from an early age.