Leg Hair

Help Support Steer Planet:

BrechtCattleCo

I have a steer that has pretty good hair all around his body, and can grow it like it was a weed. But he needs more leg hair because he doesn't have the bone he should. To be honest with you his legs do not fit his hairy body and big butt. Do you have any suggestions in how to grow that long shagy hair on there legs? And it's not genetics because he is really hairy and he was bred for hair!

Thanks in advance!

OH Breeder

Hate to tell you, but leg hair is mostly genetics. you can roto brush and help stimulate hair growth but I have seen calves with super body hair and skimpy leg hair. Some have it and others just don't. Do you roto brush the legs?

BrechtCattleCo

I tried it the other night I might not know how to use it though, although I dont think it can be that hard.

OH Breeder

Get a synthetic brush. The synthetic last longer for everyday use. The rice root have to soak in water to soften and rice root works best to fluff before a show. Make sure the legs are clean and no dirt. Spray the leg with light oil ----like pink oil, final bloom, olive oil( green can found at walmart in ethnic hair section). Put the tail in a sock if you have alot of tail hair. Believe me if you get the hair tangled up in your drill it only takes once. Start at the bottom of the leg and work the hair spinning the brush away from the leg. Get a cordless reversable drill if you can. But definitely have a reverseable drill. It takes about half hour or so to work all four legs. Do both the inside front back and outside. Always spinning away from the leg working the hair up. does that make sense?

BrechtCattleCo

For one he is bedded on straw layed on top of snow, and for two the brush makes sence, I will have to get one of those synthetic ones though, and yes I keep them oiled i usually blow in a good coat of " proclaim " it's a cheap pink oil. Thanks for the advice, anything else I need to know?

OH Breeder

BrechtCattleCo said:
For one he is bedded on straw layed on top of snow, and for two the brush makes sence, I will have to get one of those synthetic ones though, and yes I keep them oiled i usually blow in a good coat of " proclaim " it's a cheap pink oil. Thanks for the advice, anything else I need to know?
You only have to spray with oil when working the leg hair. otherwise we use Revive as it is a great conditioner. once a week you can also use a vinegar rinse to remove excess soap residue. I am not sure how often you are washing or rinsing? We just make the legs part of the routine when rinsing and washing. Clean bedding is great and keeping the legs clean as well. Give that a shot see how it works.

BrechtCattleCo

Do to the teperature I have not been washing him, but I have been spraying water on his legs to make sure they are clean. But is the synthetic brush the white one in sullivans catolog?

OH Breeder

BrechtCattleCo said:
Do to the teperature I have not been washing him, but I have been spraying water on his legs to make sure they are clean. But is the synthetic brush the white one in sullivans catolog?

Yes it should say synthetic. But it is white.

chiangus

;D

Attachments

• Joseph-Ducreux-STIMULATE-THY-LOWER-LIMBS-AND-GROWTH-OF-A-THOUSANDS-FOLLICLES-WILL-BE-SEIGE-YOU.jpg
    Joseph-Ducreux-STIMULATE-THY-LOWER-LIMBS-AND-GROWTH-OF-A-THOUSANDS-FOLLICLES-WILL-BE-SEIGE-YOU.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 251

box6rranch

I rub our calves legs with a wash brush. You know the hard plastic ones that you put your hand in. We've had good luck with it and the calves love having their legs rubbed and will stand there forever.

BrechtCattleCo

Oh man you guys are funny, I thought I would get something like that when I put LEG HAIR as the topic!

The Show

I'm gonna attempt to regain control lol...does anybody have any tips for "pulling" leg hair at a blow & go show? or any blow & go show fitting tips at all?

stangs13

The Show said:
I'm gonna attempt to regain control lol...does anybody have any tips for "pulling" leg hair at a blow & go show? or any blow & go show fitting tips at all?

If you can get the leg hair grown out, and broken up before you get there they can easily be held up with shaving cream! Good foam shaving cream that you get at the dollar store is my favorite blow and go tool...as well as Kleen Sheen, Zoom bloom, hair Linimint mixture.