Legrand Reload

Help Support Steer Planet:

pigguy

http://www.sekgenetics.com/bull_pg.php?bull=585&breed=8
this bull??
i like him

TJ

I don't know a thing about him, but he looks like he's certainly got some good things going for him.  One concern that I have is the fact that his testicles don't look very big to me, but it might be the picture.  I'd ask them to be sure to provide you with a scortal measurment before using him.   

CPL

Since the site is called "Steer Planet", I think most people here would really like this bull. In my opinion he is a "steer" bull. His progeny have and will show well, but they are not pasture performing animals that you could build a herd around. I think that's his limit. I think there are much better built bulls out there in the Hereford breed. Look up TRM HV 334 High Energy 3228, I have a cow bred to his maternal brother- 334 is a power cow.

DL

CPL said:
Since the site is called "Steer Planet", I think most people here would really like this bull. In my opinion he is a "steer" bull. His progeny have and will show well, but they are not pasture performing animals that you could build a herd around. I think that's his limit. I think there are much better built bulls out there in the Hereford breed. Look up TRM HV 334 High Energy 3228, I have a cow bred to his maternal brother- 334 is a power cow.

Easy big guy ;D ;D ;D...it is called steerplanet (or SP for short) but  you will notice below the lovely blue steer (who remains unnamed) "An online community for cattle enthusiasts" - many of us are breeders of functional pasture cattle - but that was too long a name!  (welcome) where the world is your oyster!

ps RW - I don't know anything about the bull  ;D

CPL

I know, but I was just putting the difference out there. I know there are people who feed their cattle 20 plus pounds per day and those who don't even feed hay in the winter. I respect both those folk's herds, but I tend to lean more on the performance type. The High Energy bull has got a performance type background, and has shown successfully- was trying to find the middle ground  (clapping).

Oh by the way RW, I gave you a karma point for asking about a Hereford bull  ;)

DL

CPL said:
I know, but I was just putting the difference out there. I know there are people who feed their cattle 20 plus pounds per day and those who don't even feed hay in the winter. I respect both those folk's herds, but I tend to lean more on the performance type. The High Energy bull has got a performance type background, and has shown successfully- was trying to find the middle ground  (clapping).

PS CPL - I gave you a karma point for being a good sport - now tell me about Remmintal Online

CPL

dragon lady said:
CPL said:

PS CPL - I gave you a karma point for being a good sport - now tell me about Remmintal Online

Online is a nice bull, however, I don't think Remitall cattle will work well in the environment that I plan on raising my cattle in. With that said, when Remitall cattle are used in moderation, you can get some quality calves. I associate high BW with Remitall cattle.

DLD

I was really impressed with Reload when he was at Denver - as a (coming) yearling, he was my favorite bull there (of all breeds). I seriously considered using him on my black cows, but just never got around to it. I've got a little set of Hereford heifers that are about to start calving, but from what I hear about bw's, I might want to wait another year before I try him on them. A friend of mine flushed a peach colored Charolais/Maine cow to him, we're really anxious to see what we get from that.

We're feeding a steer that's out of Reload this time, and he's certainly not lacking performance. He's a late September that we've been kind of holding all summer and he weighs 900+ , and is probably 51" tall... matter of fact, we're nominating him for Phoenix, 'cause I'm not sure we can hold him 'til OKC. He is just what I'd expect from Reload though - big boned, big footed, sound as a cat, really deep ribbed, and square. He's long necked, but does have a little leather up front, and although he has enough muscle he could be a little thicker (some of that could be a result of being held, though).

CAB

There are some clubbie breeders using Reload for depth of rib & spring of rib, also to hopefully help with some structure problems that we all breed ourselves into. Doesn't hurt that he should produce some moderate easier keeping baldies. Another bull that I think will be used similiarly will be Wide Angle, a 1/2 sib to Reload. Brent

ROAD WARRIOR

The reason for this post is that my daughter has 1 hereford cow (not hard to find in the herd!) that we always AI. This year she had a Reload heifer calf that looks pretty good. I have talked to a few other breeders and it seems like they either love them or hate them. I saw Reload in Denver twice and really liked him as an individual both times, but you never know what the progeny will be until it hits the ground. I still have semen in the tank and was trying to decide if I should use him again or go with something else.

DL

RW - Gypsy can fix you up with some Corriente semen (lol)