Lethargic calf

Help Support Steer Planet:

limigal

100 lb bull calf born yesterday, is very lethargic, will barely stand up, but won't walk.  Need  help, what do I need to do?

frostback

Did he get colostrum? You just need to make sure he is eating and getting up some. If you have to make and help him about every 4 hours. Rub his back vigorously. Sometimes it just takes a while for IT to kick in. A vitamin paste may help give some energy too. May check to see if there is any known mineral deficiencies in your area and treat him for them. A local vet should be able to help in that area. Good luck Frosty.

jbw

I use a product called Restart, I mix it with colostrum. That stuff flat works!!

WWS

If you can call a vet preferably.  We have had to like that this spring that couldnt stand up without us holding them up and our vet told us to do this and it was amazing the turn around on these calves from acting like they wouldnt make it through the night and an hour or two later they could stand up and walk on there own.  What we gave was Baytril, Vitamin B complex, Banamine, and Lifeline, which is a colostrum supplement.