Lets Pick 2015-2016 College Football Playoff Teams

Help Support Steer Planet:

sizzler14

Lets start a thread and all pick out and predict who we think is going to be the 4 teams in the 2015 college playoffs. Ill go first:
1) Arizona
2) Michigan State
3) West Virginia
4) Auburn

oakview

I would say Texas is eliminated, unless of course they could be like Ohio State last year, lose to a lousy team early in the season, waltz through a less than dangerous conference schedule, and somehow end up ahead of teams in the rankings that actually lost to a good team.  The only difference is that Texas didn't lose early to a "lousy" team.  Judging from the Big Ten's early success, or lack thereof, against reasonably good teams this year, the path seems smooth for Ohio State or Michigan State to travel the same highway. We'll see about Michigan State this weekend.  The lone exception is Northwestern's win against Stanford.  Do you suppose TCU would trade games against Baylor, Oklahoma, and Texas for a schedule with Indiana, Purdue, and Illinois?  My picks:

Ohio State
TCU
Texas A & M
Oregon

Would it be okay if I revised these December 1st?

Tallcool1

oakview said:
I would say Texas is eliminated, unless of course they could be like Ohio State last year, lose to a lousy team early in the season, waltz through a less than dangerous conference schedule, and somehow end up ahead of teams in the rankings that actually lost to a good team.  The only difference is that Texas didn't lose early to a "lousy" team.  Judging from the Big Ten's early success, or lack thereof, against reasonably good teams this year, the path seems smooth for Ohio State or Michigan State to travel the same highway. We'll see about Michigan State this weekend.  The lone exception is Northwestern's win against Stanford.  Do you suppose TCU would trade games against Baylor, Oklahoma, and Texas for a schedule with Indiana, Purdue, and Illinois?  My picks:

Ohio State
TCU
Texas A & M
Oregon

Would it be okay if I revised these December 1st?

Do you suppose TCU would want to trade away SMU, Texas Tech, Texas, Iowa State, or Kansas?

The fact of the matter is that every one of these top 25 or 30 teams plays a tough schedule.  There is NO easy path to the playoff, and I don't care what anyone says to argue that point.  It takes luck no matter how you slice it.

Now, the playoff committee has one job and one job only.  Their job is to pick the 4 best teams in the country AT SELECTION TIME.  Sure Stanford lost to Northwestern.  By the time selection time comes around, Northwestern will likely be a 4 or 5 loss team.  However, if Stanford runs the table, and starts to play like one of the best 4 teams in the country, they will have a strong case to get in.

I absolutely love this new system.  Sure there will always be teams that are unhappy, but last year proved that the system is not entirely flawed.  I agree that Ohio State was on the bubble in terms of their early season loss, but there was no question that they were the best team in the country.

I am not a Stanford or Ohio State fan...actually I loathe both programs.

oakview

I love the debate.  It's more fun than the playoffs.  The arguments go around in highly entertaining circles.  In my opinion, the best alternative is to have the major conference champions plus a couple other highly ranked teams in an 8 team playoff.  For example, you could include the ACC, Big Ten, Big Twelve, SEC, and PAC-10 as major conferences.  They would send their conference champion, no matter how they name it.  To fill the 8 team bracket, you would pick between a pool of the best of the so-called lesser conferences, such as the MAC, independents, and perhaps a second place major conference team.  So what if it takes an extra week.  You;re going to tell me all those kids go to Alabama for an education?

Bradenh

It'll be Ohio state
Lsu
Tcu
And some over blown pac 10 team to give Ohio state a free ride to the national championship

oakview

Those "overblown Pac-10 teams" sure had a way of handing it to the Big 10, Ohio State included, in the Rose Bowl.  I'd say the presence of only Michigan State as even a somewhat formidable opponent in their league paves the way to the final four.  Maybe Harbaugh can fix what ails Michigan in a few years so there's some competition.  Michigan looked less than awe inspiring last week and who was it that beat up on Penn State?  Wisconsin was supposed to be the class of their division, but showed last week they are no match for the SEC.  Somebody has to win that side of the league by default. 

oakview

Northwestern/Stanford was mentioned as an exception in a previous post.  I'll give credit where credit is due to Michigan State over the weekend.  However, as a general rule, the Big 10 has not fared well at all against the Pac 10 in Rose Bowls of recent memory.  Too bad that traditional match up wasn't retained.

ai er

oakview said:
Northwestern/Stanford was mentioned as an exception in a previous post.  I'll give credit where credit is due to Michigan State over the weekend.  However, as a general rule, the Big 10 has not fared well at all against the Pac 10 in Rose Bowls of recent memory.  Too bad that traditional match up wasn't retained.

Ohio State beat Oregon in the 2010 Rose Bowl.

oakview

By my unofficial count, Pac 10 leads Big 10 in their last 10 Rose Bowl match ups 7-3.  Over the past 50 years, Pac 10 has double the number of head to head wins in the Rose Bowl with the Big 10.  Neither league can compare, year after year, top to bottom, with the SEC.  Even counting Vanderbilt.