Lets start cutting more bulls!

Help Support Steer Planet:

Status
Not open for further replies.

P-F

T  The Ohio cattleman's has them so brain washed that they have to be the highest numbered, these guys don't even look at the bulls.  EPD's are supposed to be used as a tool to assist in the selection of a bull not the bible.  Not everyone needs a bull that is maxed out for yearling and milk and supper low birth weight.  That goes for the tobacco program also.  Why don't they let people buy what they want with their tobacco money.  Or is it a case that they know better than us!

I will get off my soap box now.

knabe

this is just like the housing crash.  the numbers dont' add up.  sooner or later, you simply have to make money.  letting people lose money is a good thing.  rescuing them is the worst thing one can do.  they must lose money, otherwise, attitudes won't change.  the housing market used to have a monthly rental exceed the cost of servicing the mortgage.  it went the opposite, and people are getting bit.  they need to get bit.  this must simply just be something like the cow cycle, except it's the numbers cycle.  at some point, it has to plateau.  where that is appears to be sooner rather than later.  what is troublesome, is biding one's time till things change.  it would appear this is an opportunity to further fine tune one's herd to suit what market one thinks will be in the future and be there when it happens, rather than respond to it once we are there.

bradycreek

Not exactly on the same note but I guess I learned from some ol timers. If we had a bull calf that weighed over 85 lbs we cut him didn't matter how good he was.
Now don't get so excited that was several years ago on a commercial basis......but I still do that except I've raised my limit a little to 90. If I have to pull the calf no matter the size or how great his EPD's would be he gets cut. This style of managment would be different for each breed and it is what has worked for me.  
Different strokes for different folks. O0
I cut most calves within 2 weeks of birth..........just seems easier with less stress.
dh

kanshow

We just finished cutting the last of our bull calves...      There were  few that we stopped and thought about but went ahead withthe operation.  In the end - we have a bunch of steer calves. 

loveRedcows

P-F said:
Then top it off the seedstock sales are all based off EPD's.  I saw some of the sorriest pieces of crap this past weekend at the seedstock sale, but they had great numbers.  How can it be improvement when the bulls are just so bad, I guess if all their calves grade  prime you may break even on the amount of feed it will take you to get their.

Those guys in southern Ohio are grass based and need Ohlde type bulls, but since they aren't  in the to 15 of the sale because of EPD's won't even give them a second look.  The Ohio cattleman's has them so brain washed that they have to be the highest numbered, these guys don't even look at the bulls.  EPD's are supposed to be used as a tool to assist in the selection of a bull not the bible.  Not everyone needs a bull that is maxed out for yearling and milk and supper low birth weight. 

Oh, beautifully said!  Thanks to our dearly departed RAA Exec Sec, the same thing has happened to us.  Thankfully we have long-time buyers who never fell for the PhD preachings and appreciate our breeding program.  The few years we jumped on the EPD band wagon were a disaster -- we quickly went back to breeding what WE like & what works out here -- structure & efficiency.  Bulls in our program that "aren't good enough" for us to use are steered & fed out for our beef program.  It's too bad more seedstock producers don't follow this theory.

tsc

THANK YOU!!!  Wow i am so glad that someone fells the way I do.  We are ruining the the quality of our cattle with theese numbers. We need to educate some of theese producers about what to look for in bulls. Numbers are simply a tool. A lot of theese guys do not even know that theese are estimates and that  their numbers have to be proven after they have calves on the ground. A lot of AI sires have poor accuracy as well and I can guarantee you that some of my no numbered cows will grow and milk just as well as cattle withe theese 100t growth numbers.

showgirl2010

I went to several sales in March and they were pratically giving bulls away.  A few didn't even sell.

We still have a few bulls we are trying to sell and my uncle has 2 and 3 year olds that need to go to market.  People just want them heifers, but everyone has a herd bull I guess.

Jamie

fluffer

Im also here in ohio and we send all of our bulls out west to sell.  They averaged $3500 this year.  The breeders here in Ohio either want dirt cheep bulls or a bull with good numbers (for the tobacco money).  However, we are selling on of our clean up PB Angus  bulls because the BW on him is not working for us and we aren't having any trouble moving him. 

P-F If I hear of anyone looking for a bull I will let you know and send them your way.  Hubby gets orders sometimes for bulls.

Fluffer

red

per request by the starter of this post, I'm locking it. No problems just a request I'm honoring.

Red

Status
Not open for further replies.