lice

Help Support Steer Planet:

akcattle

My yearling heifer has large areas of scabs on the inside of her legs and down the backs of her hocks. She also has a new spot on her neck despite the fact that she was given a shot of ivomec. My question is..... could this be anything other than lice? The areas aren't round like ringworm and her hair isn't falling out except for the areas with the scabs. Please help. I'm concerned.

mp

I had a big battle with lice last year on one of my calves. I used cydectin poured on and then poured again 3 weeks later, in between i used 2 different kinds of permethrin. Sprayed the calf evey other day and the pen once a week. Make sure he is good and dry when you spray. Might have been over kill but I got it kicked!

SouthWest

You might have a case of biting lice not sucking lice.  Injectibles work through the animals blood system.  Thats why it takes care of sucking lice.  Sucking lice suck blood.  Biting lice eat dead skin cells.  No blood involved.  Make sure you use a pour on that target biting lice as one.  Cydectin pour on I know is one.  After I pour the cattle, I would dampen a rag and rub the affected areas.

SouthWest

Biting lice will go away with the heat.  They tend not to be in areas where direct sunlight hits on an animal also.  Make sure you check his flank and underside for lice also.

showstud

I had the same exact thing. In the same spot. The person who consults me with my heifer told me it was Rain Rot....like on horses. Don't know if it was what it was. But it sure was gross...I got Fungus Fighter from Sullivans and used it like the bottle said and it slowly went away. Hope that helps...its nasty stuff!!!

STX108

Prolate works real well...liquid mixed with water in spray bottle...follow directions.

jchumley

We have this exact same problem every year. We live in the south gulf coast area and it is a fungus similar to rain rot in horses. What I have found to be the most effective is a salve you can get at any good feedstore called Nitrofurisone. It is a salve that comes in a jar and you just rub it on the affected areas for about a week. It will get rid of it-I promise. <cowboy>