LIES!!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

chambero

Rocky is promoted as calving ease.  I bought semen on him from Lautner's son in person.  They didn't have Ali semen, and I needed something.  He told me he felt Rocky was a safer bet than Tyson.  I bought some of both.

He is unproven, but I took a chance with a few heifers.  I'll know in the fall.  I've seen very few heifers that had to have a calf pulled if they could get the shoulders out, but maybe there is a first time for everything.

CAB

I agree with you Chambero. I have never had one that I couldn't get out once the head and shoulders come through, although I have had 2 or 3 over the years that I have hurt and they end up having a gimp on one back hip. Does anyone else relate to what happens? If so, what does get hurt, their back or some type of nerve damage? The ones that I have had live and get around okay, but never get over the gimpyness.
  About Rocky Balboa, has anyone called Bobby Hines, Kansas, didn't he raise the bull? I wasn't all that excited about the bull. My original take was another little clubbie fuzzball, but when I saw that Bobby raised him, I was more interested b/c of some of the boars that he raised over the years.

chambero

My point was that once you can get them past the shoulders you've got something you can get ahold of and work with (turn, reposition, etc).  I've never lost a calf I got that far alive.  But maybe I've just been lucky.

minimoo38

Sundy said:
Just because you get the shoulders out doesn't mean you are in the safe zone. The term used is "hip locked" and yes it does happen. I know from personal experience on our own cows and I worked at a vet clinic for two years as a veterinary assistant. It happens and sometimes there isn't much you can do when you get to that point but keep it coming. The key is to come straight out to the hips and then go down with the puller.

great explanation. we just experienced the hip lock with a 120# Maximus heifer calf. this one was really unexpected.she was a very, very hard pull.

Jill

chambero said:
My point was that once you can get them past the shoulders you've got something you can get ahold of and work with (turn, reposition, etc).  I've never lost a calf I got that far alive.  But maybe I've just been lucky.

Just keep your fingers crossed that your luck doesn't run out.  I would have said that until this year, we lost 2 that way this year on heifers.

kslivstkbroker

well i saw rocky  at the ranch on his mom she  is no small heifer, just because he was a small calf doesnt mean he will produce small calves !I DONT THINK BOB HINES WOULD LIE ABOUT HIS BIRTH WEIGHT! Like the man says wait & see after 1st year see what the yearling bulls produce,if u like ur cows! dont breed ur heifers 2 unproven calfing ease bulls  want seeacow killer  look at luke the angus bull hes mean 2