Life as a 4-H Leader/ Ag. Instructor

Help Support Steer Planet:

okshowmom

Well there are many 4-H Leaders and FFA teachers on here, myself being on a 4-H leader. This past year has been full of many times me questioning why in the world am I doing this?! It started in Dec. the griping complaining about the County Livestock show in March and still continues on. If I had a nickel for everytime I wanted to quit I could by Donald Trump out!
Last night we had out HS Graduation and we had several great members graduating that I will truly miss(and a couple that won't) LOL! I had one member come and give me a rose and tell me she loved me  and to Thank me. That short minute made all the difference in the world. I now know why I do it and will continue  to do it!
Both FFA and 4-H are great programs and truly offer our youth a wealth of opportunities! Please cont. to support your local organizations!
<party>

rtmcc

<party> <beer>

Good Job!  Keep up the good work.  Its the small rewards that make it special.

Ron
<cowboy>

MOClubbyGuy

As an Ag instructor and FFA Advisor, its the small things that happen or are done for you that makes your life and career so worthwhile!

Cattle7

Those little moments mean the most. I,myself, am a 4-H leader of a club that contains mostly young kids. The meetings where they don't listen, or the events where they want to do nothing but play "tag" with each other & cause me to become frustrated mean so little when I see one of them succeed with a blue ribbon on their projects. I feel we truly do make a difference in these kids lives!

vc

Most of the time if you can just remember you do it for the kids, not their parents, it can be very fullfilling. I coached both baseball and football at the youth level as well as being a 4-H leader, I found out early if you can find away to let the parents know that you will listen to their comments but if they want to complain it will not get them anywhere, most will stop complaining. (at least to you) As long as the kids are learning and enjoying their selves I could careless what their parents think.

Back when I was leading the hog group we had a high school boy that was more of an introvert, he talked to you when he had to, but that was about it, he came from a good family and the other kids where out going. Well to get to the point, his hog did real well and he kept having to go back into the ring (something he would have preferred not to do), well by the end of the day between doing well in the ring and not being able to disappear, he came out of his shell. the rest of the fair he was joking around with everyone, letting a whole different personality come out. At the end of the fair he came by the trailer and gave me a Show steer Range gauge and told me how much fun he had and thanked me for all my help that year. To this day if I see him at the corner market or the filling station he will stop and talk to me and let me know how he is doing. Those are the things you remember and make it worth the doing.

farmwife

It's the things that bring tears to your eyes that make the job worthwhile.  I had a former student graduate from Tarleton this past Saturday and I never would have believed it would happen.  He was plenty capable but not very willing to even go to college much less graduate.  He has told me so many times how much he appreciates what I did for him.

Other things that bring tears to your eyes:
1.  Students winning awards
2.  Students attending National FFA Convention closing session for the first time
3.  Students winning that first buckle in the showring
4.  Teaching a second generation
5.  Former students who still give you hugs when you see them
6.  Well - just students period!!

Forget the parents and focus on the kids - there's your greatest reward.

skeeter

I finally decided to respond to this topic.  My kids are grown, in their mid 20's and 30's.  They have turned out to be a fine young man and young lady.  One is a college grad, teaching elementary, the son is a pipeline welder - never went to college and making more than I'll ever make.  I owe a big debt of gratitude to their County Agent and Ag Teacher for their success in life.  They were raised in a good home, but thanks to an Agent and Ag Teacher that are so dedicated and care about their kids, they were also "looked after and guided" when they were at school or at a stock show with the Agent keeping an eye on them.  These two men both treated and disciplined my kids like they belonged to them.  When my daughter was in high school, if she needed advice or practically anything, the first person she would seek out was her Ag Teacher.  I also told her that I had eyes at the high school and knew what she would be into - she said yes, I know, Mr. Hardy knows my every move and reports to you.  She to this day looks up to that man.  The first time she came home for our county stock show and brought her new daughter, she could hardly wait to find Mr. Hardy and let him see her.  Our Agent is of the same caliber and to this day I consider him one of my best friends.  I consider these two gentlemen top notch and possessing the kind of character traits I wanted my kids to develop.  Our "show" family in our county is very blessed to have these two leaders.

justme

I'm a 3rd generation 4-H leader.  Many times we forget the impact we have on these young people.  It really hit me upside the head when my grandma passed away.  She had a huge club and they were really active.  I think she taught 3/4 of Berlin Hts. how to sew.  At her funeral, it brought tears to my eyes when lady after lady (even some men) came up to me and my mom and told us the stories of sewing and cooking in her kitchen for 4-H.  Thru the tears, I laughed at there stories at some of the antics they did (the one where my grandma taught them the Charleston was hilarious).  I was about to quit being a 4-H leader, but those stories reminded me why I do it, and the impact we have on these young people.  I know my grandma, Dorothy Bowser is smiling at me from heaven.  God knows there aren't many good influences out there these days for kids...keep up the good work everyone!

woltemathangus

My dad is a 4th generation 4-h leader, my mother is also a 4-h leader and they have both been doing it for a long time. I love when they see a person's name or picture in the local paper, they think back to the time they got to spend with those people in 4-h. My parents can remember just about every project from those people. The interesting part is the that my dad often forgets the years that he had Johnson County Champion Steer. It is safe to say that it has an impact on the leader too.

KMJCC

I am a 4-H Advisor and my wife is a 4-H advisor as well as an Ag Instructor/FFA Advisor.  We often find our selves questioning a lot of the same things.  The other night she had their FFA banquet and to see the kids get on stage and talk about what a difference FFA and my wife has made in there lives really helps you see what a difference we as volunteers/advisors do make.  Many of her kids we have had for years in our 4-H club and several more have come from basicly not much support at home and with the lessons taught by FFA and 4-H are taking those skills and making something of their lives.  As a past FFA/4-H member I wan't to say THANK YOU to all the volunteers/advisors for their nevering ending support and to all the current and future members, take full advantage of theses two great organizations and make sure to tell your advisors/volunteers thank you.