LIFELINE Maine Bull

Help Support Steer Planet:

mk407

Is Lifeline considered safe for heifers and an easy calver? Anyone have any previous history?

kndcattle

Did he make better steers or heifers.  I don't hear much about him since he is an older bull.

bryan6807

Not calving ease. One of the more underrated maine bulls in my opinion. daughters make good cows and steers are pretty good too

HGC

I agree, not a heifer bull.  We cleaned out our semen tank last year and bred 3 cows.  I think there are better bulls than him to use today. I was disappointed in the ones we got this year compared to some of the more current genetics.  We kept a daughter in 2009.  She milks average and has raised a couple of nice calves.

He needs to be bred to a cow with a lot of guts.  He will frame them up and make them longer bodied than what they are picking today for show cattle.

PFSC

We used him several times on heifers without issues. Calves were all small (<70#) with loads of vigor. He was a structure changer. Calves always came out real sound with ties pointing the right direction. He did consistently throw a high flank. He is older and we used him on a lot of our Take Charge cows that had questionable front legs.

I have a daughter and granddaughter in the pasture now. Our top steer prospect is out of the full daughter.

hamburgman

I don't know what your situation is but he can make them a bit too long bodied and lacking some capacity.  Not what most show rings are going for.