limflex?

Help Support Steer Planet:

gw598b

Has anybody in the south, or anywhere else used Limflex show steers? Or Limflex cross steers? What would you think about Limflex Charolais cross?

vc

Limflex is a cross, Limousin and Angus, I am sure you could get some good calves out of Limflex cows bred to the right bull.  I think that in the past Limousin were thought of more as a terminal breed, the earlier Limousin were tighter made rounder muscled and if not mistaken slower to finish (could be wrong on that one) If you want to talk crosses I think that Sim-Angus is still thought of as the maternal cross, where most of your Limflex are used for terminal commercial sires.

twistedhshowstock

Does Limflex have to be Limi and Angus cross? I thought it was like most other breeds Limflex was just a Limi composite and the other breeds crossed in didnt matter?

vc

Most the add's I had seen in the past showed the Limflex as Limousin and Angus, so after you posted I looked it up, this is what I found.
Lim-Flex ® Quick Guide:
 Percentage Limousin cattle that contain between 37.5% and 75% of Limousin
blood and 25% to 62.5% Angus or Red Angus blood, are called Lim-Flex®.

MOCattle

I wouldnt say Lim-Flex is a strictly terminal breed.  They are very functional in both terminal and maternal.  They combine the efficiency, muscling, and leanness of Limmis and the marbling, milking, and moderation of Angus.  I think its an exellent cross and some of your best females will be Lim-Flex.

kfacres

I don't believe one would be able to call this one a LimFlex- based off she's a little more Angus- than the percentages above would allow...  but here's a Lim/ Angus cross female to check out.

coming 4 year old nursing a Sept bull calf- pic taken just over a month ago.

Attachments

• 898 best.JPG
    898 best.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 788

kfacres

RankeCattleCo said:
I kinda like that cow Jody... What's the bull calf sired by?  Are you high on him?
She actuall may click with a clubbier bull, Walks Alone or Eye Candy.

She's an OCC Homer granddaughter- to Bushs Grand Design and SVF Grand Finale out of a Limi deal

Her bull calf from this year-- well== it's an interesting story...  I didn't know if the cow was actually in heat- when it came time to leave on Sunday afternoon from the synch'ing process last winter to head back up north.  I had purchased Carpe Diem and Captain Morgan to use- don't remember which one on her- thinking I was planning on sticking Carpe in her (she's a average to bigger cow for us- @ 5.6 frame)-- but b/c I never actually saw her in heat-- I decided to use some trash Angus semen in the tank that I had bought for instances like this- and to use on hard breeders.  as I figure a calf-- is better than NO CALF, or a LATE CALF.

Ended up she did settle timed AI that time around to SA Commander- an OLD Angus bull from the 90s. that I paid $5. a straw for on the Top Sires clearance rack.  She had a nice bull calf- who's been kinda peicy thus far in life.  He's got some added leather and ear.. and b/c of that I think he'd class Limi quite easy.  BIG ASS on him- super long, plenty of bone-- might need depth and balance.. AGAIN Class LIMI.  He's the biggest, growthiest calf of the entire calf crop of this year- and he even thinks he's too big to fit in the creep feeder-  He's not too shabby, and I think he may wean off 7+.. but not really of the show steer type.  I'd say he's destined for market, where I think he'll excel hugely on the grid.  Especially since he took a terrible picture a month ago- although he's changing as we speak in terms of getting body...

This year, nobody had time to AI- so she's bred to the black Dr. Feelgood son as is the rest of the cows and heifers...  That could result in a really cool, maternal heifer calf...  You know, the herd builder- foundation type- with just a TOUCH of color.  She had a whale of a heifer calf last year out of Final Answer that I sold to my cousin. 

Next year, who knows what she'll get bred to-- still have some captain morgan, and two straws of Carpe Diem-- thinking I should buy some Eye Candy- as I really liked what peices he could inject into the puzzle when I saw him in Denver 2 years in a row.  I've got some straws coming on a 3/4 Shorthorn- double Clean Heat Seeker son-- but I don't think that's what she needs. 

Honestly. now that I relook at this picture-- that bull calf looks A TON like his daddy...

Attachments

• sa commander.jpg
    sa commander.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 355

Mueller Show Cattle

RankeCattleCo said:
I kinda like that cow Jody... What's the bull calf sired by?  Are you high on him?
She actuall may click with a clubbier bull, Walks Alone or Eye Candy.
Jody, I too think that bull could click with a clubby bull such as eye candy or walks alone. I like both of those bulls and think both could work on her. I really like how deep your cow is, I think with some clubby genetics, it could throw one hell of a calf, I like her.

kfacres

OK- you guys have me talked into it... Time to start researching and trying to figure out what to use on her I guess...

I know I like Eye Candy for what he offers- I've always wondered about Monopoly on high % Angus cows- for a lack of power with all that Angus in there (give or take 75%)-- so what else could be an option?  What works on OCC bred ordeals?

kfacres

Here's one more picture of her: and if my memory serves me-- and the surrounding cows help reinforce that.. I'm pretty sure this was a rear view taken while she was nursing her first calf as a 2 year old.  

and so I guess: I wouldn't call her typical Angus assed, or banana legged...

Here is also a couple of shots of her bull calf from this year-- cannot find any pictures of the good heifer calf from last.  Like I said- not much show steer wise- but most def a growthy, feedlot type ordeal...  Again, terrible pictures.

Attachments

• 898rear.jpg
    898rear.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 144
  • 11898 (Commander x 898).JPG
    11898 (Commander x 898).JPG
    511.7 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_0218.JPG
    IMG_0218.JPG
    520.6 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0222.JPG
    IMG_0222.JPG
    502.1 KB · Views: 203

Mueller Show Cattle

Cut the BS said:
OK- you guys have me talked into it... Time to start researching and trying to figure out what to use on her I guess...

I know I like Eye Candy for what he offers- I've always wondered about Monopoly on high % Angus cows- for a lack of power with all that Angus in there (give or take 75%)-- so what else could be an option?  What works on OCC bred ordeals?
I was thinking the same think about that cow with Monopoly, with your cow being high percentage Angus and the Monopoly being 50% Angus, don't know how that would turn out. If she was mine, I would use Eye Candy on her, if you get a heifer I think it could be a good heifer with that Galloway mixing with the Angus. I have heard alot of good things about the Angus/Galloway crosses, I don't think you can go wrong either way, steer or heifer in my opinion.