Limi's

Help Support Steer Planet:

ShortyJ13

Ok, so I'm a shorthorn person, and I've just recently taken on a Limi heifer. (My first ever breed to deal with other than shorty's) Are there any specific limi-hair-tips?
It's so much different!!

savaged

We've had Limi's for quite some time, and usually the pure-breds are very wire-haired.  We have had a couple that have had pretty good hair, but certainly not like what you would see on a typical shorty.

If you are showing breeding stock, which you would with a pure-bred Limi, then it's not quite such a limiting factor.

Other than that, I have had good success with them using a roto brush extensively, and you will have to put twice as much time into the leg hair as compared to your shorty calves.

Oh, and they can be just a little tougher to halter-break........

ShortyJ13

I've noticed :D
she's quite the hard-headed little thing.
I've heard that the brushing helps out even more so than the washing and conditioning does (not knocking out its importance per say)

Beach Limousin

After 13 years of messing with limi hair, it can and will make u pull ur hair out. With all of ours I start out by rinsing them, then take a stiff rice root brush and brush the hair until dry. Do this every day or every other day for a few weeks and it gets pretty easy to deal with. That is the only way I have found to succ. train a limis hair. Just my experience.

klintdog

Not sure if they're anything like Gelbvieh, but the color seems to make a world of difference. Is it a red limmi or a black limmi?

Show Heifer

Being hard to halter break is a genetic thing, bloodline thing....it is NOT a limi thing!!

Raised limis for 30 some years...... trust me, not all limis are wild and hard to handle.......  that is what is sale barn is for!!

Dusty

Show Heifer said:
Being hard to halter break is a genetic thing, bloodline thing....it is NOT a limi thing!!

Raised limis for 30 some years...... trust me, not all limis are wild and hard to handle.......  that is what is sale barn is for!!

ShortyJ13

Show Heifer said:

Show Heifer, I didn't mean to imply that Limi's were particularly "HARD" to halter-break
just through my own observations I've found them to be more high-strung than the shorty breed. - my bad  :-\

ShortyJ13

klintdog said:
Not sure if they're anything like Gelbvieh, but the color seems to make a world of difference. Is it a red limmi or a black limmi?

She's black

Show Heifer

I can remember chuckling about 747. He was named so appropiately due to the fact would "take flight" and all of his offspring would follow!!!
Another one was Eclair.  Those full french, which we had several, certainly had issues.

I will never forget one sale that my Dad and I went to when I was a wee one. We bought several head and apparently, "slowing cattle down" happened then, as when we unloaded them, one cow bolted and never looked back till she was on a hill several fences away. It took us about a week to get her calmed down. She was loaded up and sold at the sale barn to the tune of a negative $2000 (this was roughly 25 years ago!!) As we drove home, I can remember Dad looking at me and saying "best 2 grand I ever lost." Didn't make much sense to me then, but when I look back all I can think is "AMEN to that!!"

Latest posts