Line Breeding or Inbreeding

Help Support Steer Planet:

tande

We had good luck with a Maine Anjou bull Dad Gum, a son of Chill Factor. I have heifers that are grand daughters and great grand daughters of Dad Gum, I have some of his semen left. Using him on these heifers would this be a disaster or a success. I know that Griswold's have done some of this breeding with success. Anyone have any thoughts?

RyanChandler

Both Dad Gum's pros and cons will be accentuated.  If his flaws don't become too glaring, it should be a great success. 

FriedgesCharolais

It depends on how the calf comes out. If it comes out with 5 legs or all crippled up its Inbreeding if it comes out healthy and appears to be normal its Linebreeding  (lol)

paj315

I agree with XBar . It will either be a great success or a train wreck. We had a cow we bred in a similar instance and it worked very well got a double shot of all the good with very few bad qualities accentuated . But you always have to be prepared for a disaster .

RyanChandler

A 'disaster' is really a blessing in disguise.  Rid your herd of those lines that show/prove to be carriers of deformities.    Breeding back to grandsires or great grandsires should be a non concern in terms of risk.  Sire / daughter - Mother/son - brother/sister enters a realm where more caution should be given. 

knabe

at least several ways to think of linebreeding

one, to capture a trait/s otherwise not available (otherwise known as introgression)

two, compare lines with selection pressure

three, to fix traits that are desirable

four, to eliminate defects in otherwise desirable lines.

if one has a plan in mind, a disaster offspring only means that combination was not desired and if more combinations are necessary to obtain the desired results.  a disaster offspring is not reason enough to quit a line.

Telos

Dad Gum, by pedigree, is a Cunia x Cunia x Cunia x Angus. 

Fertility and monkey mouth are possibilities with that mating. Cunia compliments Chi x Angus, Shorthorn  and some of the other Maine genetics. Personally that would be my direction.

Latest posts