Lineage of Strictly Business and Dirty Hairy bulls?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Shghmh

Just wondering what the lineage or family tree of the Strictly Business and Dirty Hairy Bulls are? I think I heard Dirty Hairy is out of Strictly Business but wasn't sure. Are there any other bulls out of those being used for semen production? Like Ali Solution or Ali?  Reason I'm asking if we've had 4 crippled calves that could be out of that line. They are usually crippled in the spine close to the hips which makes it hard for the calves to use one or both of back legs. Anyone heard of a congenital condition we should be testing for besides TH & PHa? We test the cows and heifers for these two. Also has anyone heard of the plant Old Maids Bonnet or Indian Beet causing this condition if ingested by cow during gestation? We are trying to find answers. Next step is probably salvaging a calf for testing of all sorts. It wont be able to walk anyways. Thanks for any info, not trying to bash those bulls reps by any means.

New Showman

Google it. Or go on a semen distributors website (I.E. Bull Barn, Cattle Visions, Bovine Elite, Topsires, and alot more)

sizzler14

got 3 strictly business cows. one 7 9 and 12. never once had structure problems out of any

obie105

Are they getting spastic paresis(sp?)? If so there was a thread on it earlier and someone if I remember right linked it to something genetic.

AAOK

PLD PURSUIT - 157403         
                                FJH BLACK ICE 100D - 195707                   
                                                LGH MISS HANS 805X - 161435   
                KGST FEAR THIS - 227210                                       
                                                MSD 50W - 181834             
                                HALL'S MISS 420D - 207567                     
                                                HALL'S MISS 120A - 290867     
EBB STRICTLY BUSINESS - 266091                                               
                                                H V GOLDSTEAM 2T - 114447     
                                MAJORS MASTER - 134815                       
                                                LJS MS IMAGE 514T - 98704     
                KGST 52D - 207578                                             
                                                  -                       
                                  -                                       
                                                  -                       

muleman

Sounds like s.p. as metioned above. We had a cow that threw 2 out of 3 calves with S.P. Shipped her after the second, feed is to expensive. We have 2 Stricly Buisness cows and one is a donor and have never had a structure problem with any including E.T. calves.

knabe

Unfortunately anything with cunia is suspect for spastic paresis.

Hopefully people will try something different.

Telos

Fear This was one of the first really deep and thickest Maine bulls to come along. He was also notorious for throwing cripples.

I agree with Knabe in Cunia possibly playing a role but there are other bulls or cows in the pedigrees that might also contribute. It seems like the ones that are the most linebred have higher incidents.

Strictly bussiness and Dirty Hairy are closely linebred. You have to go back several geneations to see this when studying their pedigrees.

knabe

Black gold had the barn talk nickname for his offspring of nazi walker.

Tells is right, there are some awesomely volumed cows by fear this.

knabe

I think the Maine assoc has prioritized spastic paresis for dr Berger to work on.

As to the status of the project and samples I have no idea.

mooch

Several years ago we had a SP out of one of the original bulls you mentioned .

Mainevent

Having both a Fear This as well as a Strictly Business, I am able to compare the two. My Fear This is real straight on her back wheels but can still get around pretty well, she is like everyone has said big middled, high capacity, high volume, more moderate kind of cow. My Strictly Business is a larger framed, high capacity, soundest cow I own flexible in her hock, pastern, maybe not the stoutest boned or structured but a very good cow.

Shghmh

The SP sounds exactly like what these calves are presenting with symptoms. We thought a fluke with first one, but this is the fourth calf (pair of twins had it) to show same symptoms. These calves are all out of Ali or Dirty Harry bulls which are in the same lineage. Thanks for the heads up what it could be. Put a call into the Maine Association to try to contact the doctor you mentioned to see about some genetic testing.  Sad that these are some nice looking calves with no future or even to get to slaughter. Had to put one down other day, he could barely get up to nurse anymore and had prolapsed rectum.  :(