Linebreeding

Help Support Steer Planet:

Hollywood27

I was pondering today about the benefits and problems with linebreeding for all you genetic whizzes.  What can happen when linebreeding cunia's?  How about Windsor's?  Reason I ask is I'm contemplating breeding a cow to her son.  The cow is a Windsor / Cunia and the son is a Whiplash from this cow.  All said the sire has Cunia twice in 3 generations and mated to the cow would have 3 cunia's in 4 genarations.  I know I may be babbling here but what ghost's might show up the the multiple cunia's and windsor's.
Thanks

qbcattle

Im not familiar with those bloodlines too much, but linebreeding is going to make more genes homozygous (breed more true); however, that is not always a good thing. For, it could also make bad genes dominant and thats where your problems come in.

The Show

A LOT of people line breed in pigs and stress is a huge deal. When you line breed you make the good better and the bad worse so take that into consideration. I didn't know people really line bred cattle...

knabe

Hollywood27 said:
What can happen when linebreeding cunia's? 

what if a guy linebred cunia to a high percentage cunia cow, got rid of monkey mouth and spastic pareisis and kept everything else.  those genes wouldn't be dominant or recessive, they would be gone.

THAT IS WHY YOU LINEBREED.