Live Video of Our Heifers

Help Support Steer Planet:

chambero

I didn't go in and look at her this morning to check.  We had a pretty good rainstorm last night and "alive" was good enough for me.  I'll tag it and move it and mom out tonight.

Yep, there are a couple of baldies in the front pen I think.

Malinda

Water broke on one 11:10 a.m. your time. Couldn't get her number.

This is just too much fun!

Better go check my own.

Malinda

Malinda

linnettejane,

You beat me to it.

Now I'm Nervous Nellie!

Malinda

Malinda

Yes, that second foot would be good. A tongue out gets my heart racing. Wish I was there with a sleeve on....or had chambero's phone number. Wonder what cow 911 is in Texas?

Malinda

LinZ

I thought no more than one person could watch at a time.. I'm watching but someone else is too since the camera is moving and I'm not moving it. lol. It's making me nervous..Been pushing for awhile..

justme

I cann't ever get the camera to move like I want it...i'm looking at dirt and grass.  Someone else must be on too (pop)

SOMEONE ZOOM IT OUT LOL....I can only look at a bulls business so long

chambero

I'm sitting in an office about 100 miles away from them.  I check every few hours on the computer.  My father-in-law is around.  We also have two guys in town that are "on call" when he needs help assisting during the day when I'm not there. 

The way this worked this morning is I called my father-in-law around 11:30 or so when I first saw it.  He came in and got on the remote in our office right next to the pens and then called for help.  Our helper came and pulled the calf by hand.  It had one front foot doubled-up under.  Heifer had pushed one leg and the head out.  Unfortunately, the calf had already suffocated.  This one was the quickest I've seen one die like that.  She must have been trying for a while and it wasn't noticeable.

Good news is we had a calf out in the country that had gotten stepped on and had a pretty badly injured back leg.  When we found it, mom had pretty much abandoned it, or at least wasn't close by at the time and it had to come to town to save it.  We've had it in town a few weeks bottle feeding it and its leg is a lot better.  So, it has a new momma.  The calf is already sucking the heifer that just lost her baby and seems to be accepting it just fine.

This stuff just happens no matter how hard you try.  You can't always sit right there.  We hadn't had a calf in almost a week.  They are obviously hitting high gear now and we'll be sitting closer.

One request - if your on and someone else is moving the camera, just sit back and watch.  Its probably us moving it from inside the office (which the camera is hard-wired to) where we have much better control.  We'll sit in there and watch them until one calves or we decide we need to do something.  Apparently multiple people can watch the camera at once, just only one can move it at a time.

Reinken Cattle Co.

I still cant get the darn camera to work!! would really love to see it! It just comes up as a white screen am I in need of some kind of special program? Thanks 

Matt

BIGTEX

You have to activate the active X, or something. it should be at the top of your browser. I couldn't get it to work w/ Safari so make sure you're using Internet Explorer.

jason

BIGTEX said:
You have to activate the active X, or something. it should be at the top of your browser. I couldn't get it to work w/ Safari so make sure you're using Internet Explorer.

I could not get it to work in Firefox either, works fine in IE after installing active x component.

Malinda

chambero,

Sorry you lost your calf but glad that plan B is working out so well. I would be very proud of that heifer; she was pushing likes an old trooper each time I saw her. None of that goofy first calf heifer stuff.

I am glad you have such a good crew to help you out while you are away.  I'm jealous.

Malinda

chambero

We have it set up as good as we can, but this one was just an example of weird stuff happens with heifers no matter how much you watch them.  One can have trouble in a hurry.  I can't think of another calf that we lost like that in that short amount of time.

linnettejane

im sorry about the calf...i had to leave and wasnt able to watch anymore after my last post...hurried home this evening to see what the update was....dangit...i hate it when that stuff happens....and malinda's right...she pushed and pushed, would get up, lay down on the other side...push more....she was trying hard.....