Livestock Judging Update

Help Support Steer Planet:

jimmyski

I just thought I would give everyone an update on how my first spring as a livestock judging coach continues to progress.

Last weekend we atteneded the Iowa Beef Expo in Des Moines, IA where we finished 2nd as a team. We were the high team in placings there and tied for 6th in reasons. We also had 3 kids place in the top 10 with finishes of 3rd, 5th, and 7th overall. It was an exciting time for us with all of the turmoil that the kids have been through this year. It seems like we are finally back to having fun again.

We continued traveling this weekend and traveled to the San Antonio Livestock Show and Rodeo where we finished tied for 7th with Casper CC as a team and tied for 6th with NJC  in reasons. Finally, on an even more exciting note, Cortney Hodgson was the High Individual overall in the Junior College Contest. It wasn't our best day marking cards, but there were some challenging classes and it was a good learning experience for us before we go to Houston in March.

We are continuing to make strides and will be judging in the Nebraska Cattleman's Classic's 1st Ever Judging contest this weekend in Kearney, NE.

I have been blessed with the opportunity to work with an extremely great group of kids here in Colby and I'm loving every minute of it. I look forward everyday to getting up and working with this amazing group of individuals. We have had our share of growing pains during this transition but I think for all of us it has been worth every bit of it. I know that I have learned just as much if not more from this fine group of kids than they have probably learned from me.

Again, thank you to everyone for all of their support and encouragement. I hope that everything is going well for all of you. Thanks again.

fluffer

Hey, good job  (clapping)

Sounds like your doing a good job and heading in the right direction!

I tell you, the greatest thing I did was being on the Juding Team in college.  Because of that I can get up and talk in front to people with no problem.  It is a great expereince and you should be very proud of yourself for doing so well!

Congrats! ;)

Fluffer

cowz

Good job Mr. Jim!  Congrats to you all! 

Keep us posted on how it goes at NCC! :)

aj

Keep up the good work. There is alot of tradition there. Can you say dr. Don Woodburn? Back in the 70's I'd say he and his teams were legends. Iknew a guy who was on a team. He said they once gave reasons in doc's house. You walked into a roomwhere Don was sitting in a chair under a huge moosehead. He said there was nothing more nerve wracking than than.

itk

My family has had ties with CCC for a long time so I'm glad to see it turned around even though I judged at DC3. Aj, I once gave reasons to my coach when he was on the toilet.

shorthorns r us

itk said:
My family has had ties with CCC for a long time so I'm glad to see it turned around even though I judged at DC3. Aj, I once gave reasons to my coach when he was on the toilet.

did you judge for ricky roberts?

shorthorns r us

jimmyski said:
I just thought I would give everyone an update on how my first spring as a livestock judging coach continues to progress.

Last weekend we atteneded the Iowa Beef Expo in Des Moines, IA where we finished 2nd as a team. We were the high team in placings there and tied for 6th in reasons. We also had 3 kids place in the top 10 with finishes of 3rd, 5th, and 7th overall. It was an exciting time for us with all of the turmoil that the kids have been through this year. It seems like we are finally back to having fun again.

We continued traveling this weekend and traveled to the San Antonio Livestock Show and Rodeo where we finished tied for 7th with Casper CC as a team and tied for 6thwith NJC  in reasons. Finally, on an even more exciting note, Cortney Hodgson was the High Individual overall in the Junior College Contest. It wasn't our best day marking cards, but there were some challenging classes and it was a good learning experience for us before we go to Houston in March.

We are continuing to make strides and will be judging in the Nebraska Cattleman's Classic's 1st Ever Judging contest this weekend in Kearney, NE.

I have been blessed with the opportunity to work with an extremely great group of kids here in Colby and I'm loving every minute of it. I look forward everyday to getting up and working with this amazing group of individuals. We have had our share of growing pains during this transition but I think for all of us it has been worth every bit of it. I know that I have learned just as much if not more from this fine group of kids than they have probably learned from me.

Again, thank you to everyone for all of their support and encouragement. I hope that everything is going well for all of you. Thanks again.

how are connors and cloud county getting along this spring?

jimmyski

SRU said:

SRU,
Connors is looking very good this spring. They were 4th in Denver and 2nd in San Antonio behind Coffeyville. I'm not sure how they did in Ft. Worth since we did not go. I don't know much about Cloud County since I don't think they are pulling a team right now. I know they weren't in Denver or San Antonio. Hope this helps a little bit.

itk

SRU said:
itk said:

did you judge for ricky roberts?

Sure did. His father-in-law was my FFA advisor. I had it narrowed down to CCC and DC3. I liked the tradition at Colby but they were in the process of getting a new coach so I headed south.

renegade

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I AM ON OUR VALLIVUE FFA LIVESTOCK JUDGING TEAM OUT OF THE MANY I AM ON.
AT STATE CDES WE DID PRETTY WELL I DON'T REMEMBER OUR TEAM PLACING BUT SOME OF OUR OTHER PLACINGS OUT OF 198 WERE
ME: 37
TANNER: 43
JAKE: 60
KELSEY: 82
SO WE DIDN'T DO TOO BAD.
KELSEY MOVED AND JAKE AND TANNER PROBABLY WON'T DO IT SO RIGHT NOW I AM OUR ONLY TEAM MATE . BUT THAT IS OK BECAUSE WE HAVE UNTIL JUNE TO GET READY.
RIGHT NOW WE ARE GETTING READY FOR STATE CONFERENCE. I AM ON THE HORSE JUDGING TEAM AT LEAST!!!!!!!!!!!1

shorthorns r us

jimmyski said:
SRU said:

SRU,
Connors is looking very good this spring. They were 4th in Denver and 2nd in San Antonio behind Coffeyville. I'm not sure how they did in Ft. Worth since we did not go. I don't know much about Cloud County since I don't think they are pulling a team right now. I know they weren't in Denver or San Antonio. Hope this helps a little bit.
i meant allen county not cloud county.  my roommate is coaching there and running the farm.

red

Great job Jimmy!!! It's good to hear from you & how things are going!
Keep up the good work.

Red