livestock scales

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

been trying to hunt around for a scale.  most seem priced at around $1500 and can fit under a chute.

what are the disadvantages of doing this, should i do it in the alley way pre chute?

one "cheap" one i have found is the Avery chute weigh.  anyone have anyexperience with this one or another one tha'ts under $1000?

http://www.agscales.com/about/press/releases.php

i have a friend that has a race car scale that he balances his drag car with and it only cost him 250.  that one would seem to be more sophisticated than a livestock one which would only need to be somewhat durabel, probably some cost there, have a tare feature, remote perhaps, and don't need the integration with cattle software.

any thoughts, sources for a handyman solution?  i guess i could use it for a detection mechanism in my "compound" for invaders when not weighing cattle. ;D

JSchroeder

http://cgi.ebay.com/5000LBX1LB-S-S-PORTABLE-LIVESTOCK-ANIMAL-FLOOR-SCALE_W0QQitemZ270157129268QQihZ017QQcategoryZ11751QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

We bought a similar one to that from them and it's worked pefectly for a much lower price than $1,500.  We have no need for any features other than tare and weigh but I'm really not sure what other features we would need from the higher dollar scales. 

We're in the process of getting a new squeeze chute and they told us it's best to go the alley scale route because of the extra wear and tear you will put on the bars if you install it under the chute.

Thornberry

I purchased a scale from Triner Scale.  It has two weigh bars, Digital indicator, 20 hr battery or plug it in,
5000# capacity in 1# increments.  Works great for what I need.  Cost was $729.00 delivered to my door.
trinerscale.com  or 1-800-238-0152

justintime

This may not be a concern to you that live in warmer clims that I do, but we have had a couple of scales that go under the chute and we have had some issues with them freezing up, mind you there are usually several hundred cattle that pass through our chute every winter. There are lots of them that are used in this country and they seem to be work well, but if you use a chute alot, during cold weather, you have to watch this closely.

SWMO

Tru-Test makes the best livestock scales available.  Several different price points and chute and alleyway designs.  Main office in Mineral Wells Texas.

cowz

Thornberry said:
I purchased a scale from Triner Scale.  It has two weigh bars, Digital indicator, 20 hr battery or plug it in,
5000# capacity in 1# increments.  Works great for what I need.  Cost was $729.00 delivered to my door.
trinerscale.com   or 1-800-238-0152

We bought one of these last year and we love it!!  Delivered it was about the same price 725.00.  We set ours under our fitting chute....even weigh 4H pigs on it and it is very accurate.  This one gets my vote.