LLND Chili Red Maine Bull. Would he work on a Shorthorn heifer?

Help Support Steer Planet:

gocanes719

We have a heifer we are having trouble getting bred.  We are going to try to breed her 5 times in one day.  The only semen we have available that we want to take a chance with is this.  Has anyone used him?  I am not even sure if he is heifer safe, know nothing about the quality of his calves but I would like any input that you can give. 

Jill

You are wasting your money to breed 5 times in one day, 2 times should be overkill if you know when she is coming in, if you are having that much trouble find a bull and have her naturally serviced.  Larry Lind put out some really nice calves, don't know much about this bull, he has decent numbers, looks like he is really tall.

gocanes719

We are doing what the embryologist recomends.  He wants to breed her every 6 hours as she is cystic.

DL

hey gocanes - 2 things from my perspective -
1) if your embryologist says to breed the heifer 5 times per day you probably need a new embryologist - if you can't get the heifer bred either (a) she isn't in heat (b) she doesn't have all her parts (c) she isn't being properly inseminated (d) some combination of the above - might actually want to have a vet check her out
2) LLND Chili is a R&W polled purebred Maine sired by Power Plant out of the Tryst cow - he is a 92 model with reasonable numbers for calving ease. I have had a couple of Chili calves (was as always hoping for a heifer but didn't get one) - he is a good bull, not a great bull, but has the potential to throw some really nice functional cows - he will of course throw red and he also throws patterned; I believe he was a successful show bull back in the day but that may be my imagination talking

OH Breeder

The Chilli steer calf I saw a couple summers ago was Red and moderate framed. He was stout with moderate bone. Clean necked and decent top. He was prettier than he was massive if that makes any sense. Wasn't a bad looking calf.

I had a heifer that was cystic and my vet recommeded a hormone protocol to assist. Talk with your vet about it. She aborted and then went cystic. It worked, she calved as a three year old. Haven't had any problems since.

afhm

That'd be him Farmboy.  OHBreeder if the calf you are thinkning of was in Iowa at Trausch's he was out of a different bull named Chili.  One who was red and white and that had some shorthorn in him that Cody Venable out of Ok owned.  I can't recall his breeding off hand right now.

aj

The chili bull I saw at linds at a production sale in colorado was red. I think he won a couple of state fairs at least. I also saw him later as a little older bull and he was a little broken down. I thought he was an ok bull. This was anot to long after they opened up the appendix deal in the durhams.

DL

Here's Chili - the MA Chili (there is also a Shorthorn Double Stuff sired out of a Trump cow Chili)

Attachments

• Chili.jpg
    Chili.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 233

OH Breeder

afhm said:
That'd be him Farmboy.  OHBreeder if the calf you are thinkning of was in Iowa at Trausch's he was out of a different bull named Chili.  One who was red and white and that had some shorthorn in him that Cody Venable out of Ok owned.  I can't recall his breeding off hand right now.

AFHM
THis was a calf at Baughmans down near Gallipolis, OH. They raised the bull Big Money out of Boo Who. He had a steer calf in the pasture.

DL

gocanes719 said:
We are doing what the embryologist recomends.  He wants to breed her every 6 hours as she is cystic.

PS i jsut read the whole thread (OK brain fart!) - if the heifer is cystic breeding her every 6 hours won't help her - she needs to be treated for her cystic condition - IMHO you should call your vet

Jill

If she is cystic, breeding her 1 time is a total waste of money!  Get the cyst fixed and then start over.