Lone Star Sale - WHR Shorthorns

Help Support Steer Planet:

C

crybaby

-XBAR- said:
And I don't know about most people, but my heifers are the soggiest they will be their entire life the day they are weaned so I don't quite understand the "green" factor. 

Early maturing cattle can be like that... 

Our's on the other hand- tend to be later maturing-- and in most cases-- look "prime"- about a month before having their first calf.

RyanChandler

Redwine Cattle said:
Your grandkids must know what they are looking for! 55A looks good to me as well. I like her pedigree too.

Looks good to me too- thats the solution look I like-  Got a question though.  If 11a is only so shallow and devoid of capacity because shes "green",  then how does this lot 55a have so much more depth being that shes 2 months YOUNGER than the 11a?? 

J

JTM

I really wish I could go down again. If one thing is for sure, they know hospitality! Great food and entertainment Saturday night before the sale. There will be deals to be found but the real challenge is finding them and being ready when it happens. I hope they have a great sale and the Waco calves sell great! Especially since we will have several of them this year.  ;)

RyanChandler

The Wacos were very nice.  I stayed in til 10k on the lot 16- thought for sure going in that would take him- but he sold for 15k.  He was very Sharp.  I got to see the DF Waco bull. He was down the hill East of the barn.  If anyone has in question about the bull let me tell you..he is exceptional!  Waco is by far the best shorthorn bull I've seen in person.  Hes super deep in his chest floor, good length, and covers his tracks perfectly.  No question he can double as a beef bull too. Plenty of retail product potential.  Sarge told me waco is a 6.5frame.  Imo he is the ideal size bull.  If I could change 1 thing about him it would be a little less slope from hook to pin.  Short head, deep red, huge nutted, dog gentle- he's a great looking bull.  I bailed after coming way short on the lot 16.  If anyone has the sale results, please post them.  There was a pretty nice red neck roan bull calf outta Waco that was pretty cool too but I felt his dam, lot 57 a bloodstone cow, carried a little to much bw on her side for what I was gonna use him for: to put on some plainer type British x cows. 

Here's a cpl pre sale pics I took of the lot 16-

Attachments

• IMAG0415.jpg
    IMAG0415.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 535
  • IMAG0413.jpg
    IMAG0413.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 495

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

Gongrats to Redwine on the new genetics. <beer>
Sale Results:

Attachments

• WHR Sale 1.2.png
    WHR Sale 1.2.png
    292.6 KB · Views: 417
  • WHR Sale 2.2.png
    WHR Sale 2.2.png
    318.7 KB · Views: 366
  • WHR Sale 3.2.png
    WHR Sale 3.2.png
    302.9 KB · Views: 318
  • WHR Sale 4.2.png
    WHR Sale 4.2.png
    307.3 KB · Views: 331
  • WHR Sale 5.2.png
    WHR Sale 5.2.png
    301.3 KB · Views: 327

OKshorthorn

Thank you!! We were really happy with her! I wish I would have known some of you guys, would have enjoyed looking through the cattle with you.

XBAR, I wondered if you were in on the lot 16 bull, I was very impressed with him.

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

No not this year. This past year we picked up a full brother to last year's lot 2 as a herd sire and are really pleased with his progress.

McM93

shortdawg said:
Redwine Cattle said:
$5,500...I think you are talking about lot 78? I thought the lot 79 Shorthorn Plus was a pretty good buy at $2,500.

Should have stayed because I liked 79 (the blue one), had a first calf heifer start calving, so I headed home to find it up and nursing, which is not always the case when we have the pasture we have right now...it is amazing, from about March 15 it has looked like the best May on record here. Anyways, buddy I was with bought lot 42, any of you guys remember her or have info on her sire, Schrag Swagger?

Almost forgot, but lot 12 was mentioned in a an earlier post. She is a beast, absolutley loved her.

Mainevent

I really liked the lot 11a calf, thought she was good bone, super sound, big and and square as you could make them. But with everyone else didn't think was as full or as deep bodies as some of the other calves in the pens.

OKshorthorn

McM93 said:
shortdawg said:
Redwine Cattle said:
$5,500...I think you are talking about lot 78? I thought the lot 79 Shorthorn Plus was a pretty good buy at $2,500.

Should have stayed because I liked 79 (the blue one), had a first calf heifer start calving, so I headed home to find it up and nursing, which is not always the case when we have the pasture we have right now...it is amazing, from about March 15 it has looked like the best May on record here. Anyways, buddy I was with bought lot 42, any of you guys remember her or have info on her sire, Schrag Swagger?

Almost forgot, but lot 12 was mentioned in a an earlier post. She is a beast, absolutley loved her.

I liked the lot 42 heifer. He got a good one with that buy! I bought some Swagger semen last year, but haven't put any in yet. I have seen some really nice calves out of him though. Lot 47 is a full sib to the Swagger bull and she was the high seller at $35,000.

The lot 12 heifer was pretty special, unfortunately everyone else thought so too, I think she went for $18,500.