long horns

Help Support Steer Planet:

renegade

Has anyone ever worked with long horns? I was at the feed store and was talking to a friend of the family and someone he knows asked me if i would like to show long horns for him. He is going to start donating heifers to a local chapter/4-h group.

red

did you see the post on the riding longhorns?
Als we have some for sale in the classified section.

Red

cowz

In the western states, the longhorns, obviously are shown loose.  The owner or herdsman is usually horseback.  They turn the steer, heifer, group out in an arena for viewing and then are gathered up and put back in their pen.  (Kind of like slow motion team penning.)

red

here is the thread on the riding longhorns. Really a neat site.

http://www.steerplanet.com/bb/index.php/topic,1129.0.html

renegade

cowz said:
In the western states, the longhorns, obviously are shown loose.  The owner or herdsman is usually horseback.  They turn the steer, heifer, group out in an arena for viewing and then are gathered up and put back in their pen.   (Kind of like slow motion team penning.)

That is neat i have never really looked into long horns until he asked if i would like to show for him. I live here in idaho but he shows all over the northwest, we would be showing mainly bulls and heifers and it would be like show any other breed but they are the younger and don't have their "long horns" yet. He has a show team every year and i have seen how many awards the kids have won with those cattle - like four buckles in one day for one girl. so he has good cattle but i have just never been around them.

genes

I remember them being at one show where they had them and I kept reminding myself to be careful rushing down the aisle because the end animal had at least a 5 foot spread and I was always worried the end foot would poke out and get me (I was much younger then if this sounds silly).

In my limited experience I don't think they are incredibly difficult to work with.  We have a couple (that definitely don't get shown) and one cow is very very leary of coming in the corral since being treated in there.  So maybe they are the type to not forget unpleasant experiences, or maybe that's just her.

Latest posts