long shot pole syringe

Help Support Steer Planet:

afhm

Does anyone out here have experience with these long shot pole syringes that and interchangeable with a calf catch hook?  I am looking into getting one, just wanted to know if they are worth it.  I have a heifer that the neighbors bull got to and I was wondering if it would discharge the Lut quick enough if Istuck her in the pasture before she ran away.  Penning these heifers would involve penning 2 other pastures of cows to get them to the pens, and I don't really want to do that, and leaving her bred is not an option.  Thanks for any input.

chambero

Sorry I can't answer your direct question, but I'd like to know what you find out.  Had the same thing happen to us last year.  We had a couple of mature cows come down with foot rot in the last couple of weeks and they refused to be called/driven up to the working pens.  Wound up having to rope them to doctor them.  They don't think much of us right now.

I know that the dart guns (i.e. Cap-Chur brand) are supposed to work pretty good.  A few people in our area use them on yearlings on wheat that are a lot of trouble to catch.

afhm

I've heard the same thing about the dart guns.  They are suppose to be a little tricky until you get the hang of them.  The long shot is a whole lot more economical by atleast a $100 I think more like $250 cheaper and is dual purpose.

shorthorns r us

My Father-in-Law has a dart gun that he uses to capture idiots.  Where he lives, there a many place for cows to go that man and horse cannot.  He sends in the dogs and tranquilizes the cow as she come out of the jungle.  He has really good luck with it.  One of the keys is getting close enough.  He says that inside 20 yards is best so he does it on horseback.  As you might imagine, he gets lots of calls from the neighbors.  That gun created one of the most stressful situations of my life.  Luckily :-\ for me, it just happened to be delivered on the day I asked him for permission to marry HIS daughter.  He really wanted to try it out that day!

Will

We have a long pole with the syring.  It works really well for us.  The trick is to be able to get close enough to stabe the cow.  What we do is dump a little feed and drive up behind the animal and give them the shot.  You just let them take off with the pole and aipressure releases it when the medicine has been administered.  I have only used it on cows with sore feet and LA 200.  It is nice not to have to get them up when it is 100.

Will

chambero said:
Where do you find the poles or order them from?
We bought our at the Farm Show at Tulsa a few years ago, I am not sure who we purchased it from but can find out.

afhm

http://www.koehnmarketing.com/index.php  This is where I plan on ordering mine from.  Only thing I haven't decided on yet is whether to get the fiberglass or the aluminum.  In the catalog it shows both but online it only shows the fiberglass.

afhm

I finally got one and used it.  I don't know how effective it would be in the complete wide open.  I dumped out some feed so the heifer would be occupied.  I had to stick her twice and naturally I broke the needle on the 2nd time but it worked and sure was easier than penning all those other pastures to get her in the chute.  I think if I had to do it again, I would spend a little more and get one that is air pressure powered so I would have to stick the second time.  I'm sure I'll get better at it over time.  The one I got doubles as a calf catcher.  With shipping it cost $109.