Looking for a job

Help Support Steer Planet:

My name is Daniel Zwagerman and I am 16 years old. My dad and I have a little hobby farm of 5 cows. I do a lot with 4-H and I really enjoy it. I show hogs and steers at the Hudsonville Community Fair. I am looking for a job on a farm where I can work with show cattle of anything to do with farming. I do not know how to drive a tractor but I am willing to learn. If anyone in the West Michigan area is looking for anybody please let me know it would be very appreciated.

Home Phone: (616) 772-2349
Cell Phone: (616) 928-8585

knabe

hi dan,

here's my take.  you are young, this is the best time to travel and see the world with little downside.  what it would do, is focus on trying to find a place to work in the summer that is out of your area and does things differently than you are accustomed.  look for an area that has a high density of what you are interested in.  stillwater oklahoma, places in texas, SD etc.  call people up that have cattle you like and ask them if they know anybody who can utilize your energy.  when you find someone willing to take you on, they will probably take you around to a few places as they probably can't resist the urge to mold you.  of course they will also probably work you to the bone, but they will also feed you to as you will need starch and protein to survive the rigors of feeling what it is like when it is not a hobby.  schools are for learning in the ratio you are accustomed to, not working for someone.

i once read in a book about either tom dorrance or ray hunt that someone in a similar sitiuation to you went to work for them.  they watched him ride for a couple of days or so, and then put him on a catepillar for a while to do some work.  they got kinda upset about it, but then got to thinking, hey, these levers feel exactly how i want my horse to feel and i can feel how if i just twist just a little bit, just how little it takes to both turn a horse and a cat.  you will be suprised how much you learn from a cattle producer away from the show activities.

i am pretty much a blank slate when it comes to cattle and i am pretty much in a 24/7 learning mode every time i look at cattle, even my own.  relish the feeling of a sponge, mimicking clipping steers or showing is just the tip of the iceberg.  learn anything you can away from actually showing them.  that is the least of your worries.  learning how to make a profit in a communist world is the most important thing you will ever learn.  profit gives you freedom to choose what to do with both your time and money.

knabe said:
hi dan,

here's my take.  you are young, this is the best time to travel and see the world with little downside.  what it would do, is focus on trying to find a place to work in the summer that is out of your area and does things differently than you are accustomed.  look for an area that has a high density of what you are interested in.  stillwater oklahoma, places in texas, SD etc.  call people up that have cattle you like and ask them if they know anybody who can utilize your energy.  when you find someone willing to take you on, they will probably take you around to a few places as they probably can't resist the urge to mold you.  of course they will also probably work you to the bone, but they will also feed you to as you will need starch and protein to survive the rigors of feeling what it is like when it is not a hobby.  schools are for learning in the ratio you are accustomed to, not working for someone.

i once read in a book about either tom dorrance or ray hunt that someone in a similar sitiuation to you went to work for them.  they watched him ride for a couple of days or so, and then put him on a catepillar for a while to do some work.  they got kinda upset about it, but then got to thinking, hey, these levers feel exactly how i want my horse to feel and i can feel how if i just twist just a little bit, just how little it takes to both turn a horse and a cat.  you will be suprised how much you learn from a cattle producer away from the show activities.

i am pretty much a blank slate when it comes to cattle and i am pretty much in a 24/7 learning mode every time i look at cattle, even my own.  relish the feeling of a sponge, mimicking clipping steers or showing is just the tip of the iceberg.  learn anything you can away from actually showing them.  that is the least of your worries.  learning how to make a profit in a communist world is the most important thing you will ever learn.  profit gives you freedom to choose what to do with both your time and money.
Thank you for the great advice. I show cattle in 4-H so it would be really hard for me to be able to leave for a whole summer. I was thinking of doing something like that when I am in college but I am still in high school.

knabe

here's a job you probably don't want

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwMj3PJDxuo&eurl=http://hotair.com/archives/2008/02/20/video-when-new-yorkers-get-bored/

freezing in place.

basically these ploys are attention grabbers to link advertising with.  similar to story stocks of the dot com boom that eveyone likes to say helped the economy that clinton likes to take credit for.

basically what happened is that people lost a lot of money and people got herman miller aeron chairs for cheap at company fire sales.  $100 versus over 800 for a chair that Venture capital people were only too happy to purchase for the story stock people.

also, pretty funny.  next year, tuition at stanford will be $47,000.  the other day, these spoiled green brats protested that the university change out the water saving shower heads back to the original high flow units and the university caved.  these same people will elect obama for president and ruin this country.

i wonder if they consulted with al gore first.  typical, they want everyone else but themselves to sacrifice.  what a complete and total joke.