Looking for opinions on quality ofSimAngus steer.

Help Support Steer Planet:

yellowdog5

What do you think of my steer?  I want honest opinions, you don't have to be nice, I really want to know what people think, he is 4 1/2 months old.  3 photos below
jess72911005medium.jpg

72911013medium.jpg

72911010medium.jpg

Jenny

put the feed to him, keep him wormed and poured for lice, put the feed to him, and feed and feed; he is really green right now, but he seems to have good thickness and would look like if you can get him to weigh about 1350 pounds, he would be a nice fat Simmental steer.

vc

As staked, he is green. He looks to have some hair, adequate bone and all the right pieces to grow into an nice fat steer, fed right, he should pack on some pounds.
Get him on feed, treat him for parasites and he should grow well for you.

twistedhshowstock

He is green, but at 4 1/2 months of age we expect them to be green.  I think he is pretty nice for a calf his age, has all the pieces, and appears to be in his working clothes.  I think once you get him on feed and get that hair working for you, you will be very pleased with this one!

yellowdog5

I sure  appreciate everyone's opinion, I have a hard time getting my friends and associates in our county to be critical of my animals, they all just say, "nice calf!" whether they like him or not.  I know he's green, he's not even weaned yet.  I am a breeder, not an exhibitor, just so everyone knows.  The calf should finish nicely and be within the weight range.  I'm trying to decide whether or not he's good enough to make it worth my while to consign him to our club calf sale.

vc

I would ask your self what is the average price at the sale, if the average price is worth it, go for it, I do not think he would be at the bottom of a sale so plan on the average, if you get more than the average your a head of the game. You could find a kid that is looking for a steer and make a deal with them, they save a little and you make a Little.

My green comment was not meant as a dig, just means I like him at this stage and think with some time and feed he should only get better.

yellowdog5

vc said:
I would ask your self what is the average price at the sale, if the average price is worth it, go for it, I do not think he would be at the bottom of a sale so plan on the average, if you get more than the average your a head of the game. You could find a kid that is looking for a steer and make a deal with them, they save a little and you make a Little.

My green comment was not meant as a dig, just means I like him at this stage and think with some time and feed he should only get better.

Thanks, VC I did not take it as a dig, I know he's green and expected some comments pointing it out.  I did ask for criticism, after all.  Our sale last year averaged $1400 for steers, none under $1100 but there wasn't a calf there that didn't have some maine or club calf breeding.  Some of them had really terrible leg structure, but it didn't seem to matter.  I think I will offer him for sale, and maybe consign him if I don't have him sold by the sale deadline.  I did pretty well at that sale a few years ago with one of my Simmental steers that was really nice, and I think this one is as good. But for the most part all I get is a little over market  price, and if you take one home, they have changed the costs so that you have to pay the full commission whether you sell the calf or not.  I don't mind forfeiting a $35 entry fee, but I don't like paying $80-$100 to take my calf home if he doesn't bring my floor price.

wyatt

he looks great i definatly wouldnt sell him for less than 1100 hes got all the right pieces and very clean fronted!

The Show

I think he's too heavy fronted. Like everyone has already stated he is still really green right now, but I think he'll grow off fine and make a good county steer.

wyatt

The Show said:
I think he's too heavy fronted. Like everyone has already stated he is still really green right now, but I think he'll grow off fine and make a good county steer.
he is clean fonted for a sim angus cross but if it was a clubby i would probly say it is a little heavy

The Show

I'm not talking in terms of cleanliness. He is clean fronted for a simangus, but he is heavy fronted and it makes him look like he doesn't have much of a neck.