Loss of appetite

Help Support Steer Planet:

Colorado2009

I have 3 calves at home right now. The one I'm taking to county fair I'm feeding Show Chow Fitter's Edge...about half of a 5-gallon bucket. Lately, he lost his appetite. He also gets 1 flake of hay in the evening. He weighs about 1150 if I'd have to guess. Anyone know how to get his appetite more aggressive?

dagrate1s

I had the same things happen to me on Show Chow but it was two years ago and back in January on about a 1,000lbs. calf. We switched our feed to Vita-Plus. The change of feed ignited his appetite and we never looked back and still feed vita-plus. I would look at a change of feed or at least a change in the taste of his feed with something like appetite express or natural stride or Grow n Shine.

Craig

vc

Some times the feed can be bad, we had a batch of feed with bad fat in it. Calves just looked at it, changed to a different batch number calf ate it like crazy. If you do change brands or type of feed do it slowly, don't just change feed and give them the same amount as you did with the old feed right away start at a couple bounds and work your way up.

OH Breeder

Couple weeks ago had the same thing. Went to TSC and bought Probiotic gel. It has a syringe with premeasured amount according to weight. Fed them one dose and then another week following. They were back on feed without problem. It seems when they get to about your size they get burn out on feed. Just a thought.

Cowgurl101

I use probios paste and it works pretty well. You give it to them three days in a row. If my steer doesnt eat well in the morning, usually by the next day (after one dose)he is back to normal.If its a really bad case, it may take a few days. I think the 3 day thing just keeps them from regressing again right away. It costs about $6-7.00 here and one tube does 4 doses.
  Hope this helps ;D