Lost a Cidr

Help Support Steer Planet:

lightnin4

What should I do?  I put cidr's in 14 cows last Tuesday.  Planning on pulling them this afternoon and giving Lutalyse, then breeding Friday morning.  I just noticed this morning that one of the cows appears to have lost her cidr.  I don't know when she lost it.  I'm thinking I should go ahead and give her the Lutalyse this afternoon and watch for heat.  If I don't see signs of heat, give another Lutalyse in 10 days.  Am I on the right track?  Or is there a better plan?

HAB

Are you sure she lost it?  They can hide.  :)

If she did, give her the shot anyway, if she had it in for 5 or 6 days, she should still respond.

oldwood

I had a donor lost hers last week, continued on,  she showed a great heat.

lightnin4

HAB said:
Are you sure she lost it?  They can hide.   :)

If she did, give her the shot anyway, if she had it in for 5 or 6 days, she should still respond.

Pretty sure she lost it.  She's real gentle, so I got a pretty good look.  I will check though when she goes through the chute. ;D

johnmetzger

We cut the plastic cords off flush as other cows can get ahold of the long cord and pull them out.

chambero

You have to check and make sure you didn't just lose the blue cord.  That happens to me on a few every year.  Easy enough to push out via palpation even if it gets way up in there such that you can grab it directly.

lightnin4

chambero said:
You have to check and make sure you didn't just lose the blue cord.  That happens to me on a few every year.  Easy enough to push out via palpation even if it gets way up in there such that you can grab it directly.

good point!  I'll be sure to put on a sleeve & check.

LN

I've had a couple lose their CIDRs but I go ahead and give the lut shot anyway. They still get bred.

ai er

Make sure to palpate her.  Had one cow that I couldn't find the CIDR, went ahead and Lutalysed her, and went to time breed her, and found the CIDR upon sleeving her.