Lowline ANGUS semen for sale...

Help Support Steer Planet:

TJ

High sperm count semen is available on Doc Holliday, a fullblood Lowline Angus bull.   His actual birth weight was only 48 lbs. & so far, all of his 1/2 blood calves have been under 65 lbs..  Use Doc with confidence on your 1st calf heifers for extreme calving ease!!  Doc sire's powerful calves with eye appeal, great hair & a lot of natural fleshing ability.   Both of his parents were Royal Show Grand Champions in Australia.  Doc currently stands @ 48 inches tall.  Semen is priced @ $25 per straw with discounts available on volume purchases.  If you wish to register Doc's calves with the American Lowline Association, an AI certificate will be required (ask about prices).  Doc is co-owned by CrossCreek Angus Farms, of Clarks Hill, IN and by J & K Livestock, of Morganfield, KY.

For more information, visit...

http://www.kylowline.com/Lowline_Semen_For_Sale.html

Thank you,
TJ

TJ

Doc Holiday at 3 years old, in his working clothes, right off of winter pasture.  48 inches tall & 1350 lbs. 

If you look closely at a blown up pic, you will see hay in his hair & the hair going in every direction... unlike the next 2 pics, absolutely no dolling up was done before this photo was taken.  Unlike many bull pictures, what you see is what you will get!!

Attachments

• DocWeb1.jpg
    DocWeb1.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 922

TJ

Doc Holiday at 23 months, 46.5 inches tall & 1200+ lbs...

Attachments

• Doc23web.jpg
    Doc23web.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 907

TJ

Doc Holiday @ 10 months of age... As you can see, Doc was flashy as a calf!

Attachments

• DocHollidayWeb2.jpg
    DocHollidayWeb2.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 903

red

see TJ- You're getting good at posting pictures!!!

Interesting bull. not into Lowlines but will be interested to see the reaction from those that are.

Red

TJ

red said:
see TJ- You're getting good at posting pictures!!!

Interesting bull. not into Lowlines but will be interested to see the reaction from those that are.

Red

Thanks for getting me all straightened out on the pictures!

I am going to assume that probably not too many on this site are going to be "into Lowlines".  However, some of the most critical & sceptical cattle people have actually paid compliments when they 1st saw Doc Holliday.  Also, my partner has expressed receiving similar reactions.  She is also an Angus breeder, who wasn't even getting to 1st base with her "Angus friends", but I was told that all of that drastically changed when they 1st viewed Doc.  So, I am hopeful that same thing will be the case hear on this board as well & maybe some minds will be changed.

FWIW, this past fall, I sold a "clubby guy" in Alabama, 10 straws of Doc Holliday to use on his 1st calf heifers.  He is hoping to raise a few light weight show steers with excellent carcass qualities for their carcass contest.  Doc is also VERY DOCILE & I had him 1/2 way leading the very 1st day that I haltered him.  So, I am thinking that Doc Holliday's niche might be for producing light weight show steers, out of 1st calf heifers (extreme calving ease) & those steers will be mostly used by 1st time cattle exhibitors and/or very young/small cattle exhibitors.  That's the vision the guy down in Alabama has also.  It will be interesting to see how that works out.  As a matter of fact, I am toying with the idea of getting some regular sized show quality heifers & giving this thing a whirl myself.  We used to raise a few fairly successful steers (4H Grand Champ KY State Fair, numerous district & county fair champ steers & my sister won the light weight class at the KY State Fair 3 years in a row & we sold some into Southern IL that did OK too), so I think this has some potential, if used on the right females.   

Another thing that I want to point out.  Doc's 1/2 blood calves are probably going to be taller & bigger than what most people probably are imagining, especially if they have seen some of the extremely small Lowlines.  Doc is a frame 1 & is one of the largest Lowlines in the U.S..  In theory, when a frame 1 is bred to a frame 6, the calves will be around a frame 3.5.  However, when Doc has been bred to frame 6, Charolais, Angus, Tarentaise & commercial X heifers, most of those calves were at least a frame 4... I would assume that is due to hybrid vigor.  The difference between a frame 6 & a frame 4, is only 4 inches & 4 inches is not a whole lot.  Even a frame 3.5 animal is only 5 inches shorter than a 6 frame.  (*** UPDATE... According to NDSU Dickinson research, the avg frame scores for 1/2 blood Lowline steers out of commercial heifers from 2004 - 2006, was 4.4, 4.7 & 4.8.  Finishing weights avged 1220+ lbs. for the 3 year period.).  Anyway, if someone has a few big, frame 7+ heifers that they want to downsize & stout-en up, Doc would work really well for that scenario, IMHO. 

Plus, Doc & his full sister both were extremely hairy calves, so he should pass that on to his calves as well.   

As far as interest among Lowline breeders, it has been excellent, despite the fact that I purposely haven't promoted him very much until just recently (I wanted to have 2 of my own calf crops on the ground 1st).  However, I've already sold semen from the west coast (Washington State) to the east coast (South Carolina), so it is going good so far. 

Thanks,
TJ     

OH Breeder

Where would one order and what about shipping? This might be a good alterantive for calving ease on some of my BiG old shorthorns and commercial cows.

TJ

OH Breeder said:
Where would one order and what about shipping? This might be a good alterantive for calving ease on some of my BiG old shorthorns and commercial cows.

RE orders... You can either order it through myself or through my partner, Cindy Jackson.  

My email address is...  [email protected]  
OR you can leave me a personal message on this board & I will reply.  
My # is (270) 997-0041

http://www.kylowline.com/Links/Herd_Sires.htm 

Also, Cindy has some 1900+ lb. Angus cows with 1/2 blood Lowline calves at the side (not Doc Holliday calves unfortunately), in case anyone is interested in viewing them to get an decent idea of what size calves to expect.   She also has some Angus X Lowline F1 females with calves at the side too, so you would probably get a pretty good idea about the mature size.  1 more thing, Doc will be at her place starting sometime in July until late fall & at my place the rest of the year, in case anybody ever wants to view him in person.            

If you do breed Doc to a few of your shorthorn's, I might be interested in a few of the resulting calves.  

Jill

OH Breeder said:
You might check with Brad Tummons, I know they sold a blue roan at the American Royal and if my memory serves me correctly it was a lowline out of a shorthorn cow.

TJ

Jill said:
OH Breeder said:
You might check with Brad Tummons, I know they sold a blue roan at the American Royal and if my memory serves me correctly it was a lowline out of a shorthorn cow.

You are correct.  Tummons showed & sold a Lowline X Shorthorn heifer @ KC back in the fall.  It sold for $3,600.   

Jill

Yes, they were very pleased and thought that lowlines were a good match for 1st calf heifers

TJ

Jill said:
Yes, they were very pleased and thought that lowlines were a good match for 1st calf heifers

That is excellent news!!  Thank you for sharing that info!

TJ

OH Breeder said:
This might be a good alterantive for calving ease on some of my BiG old shorthorns and commercial cows.

RE the use of Lowlines on big cows...

Dori Steckley, formerly an Angus Breeder in WY & the current owner of Genesis Livestock in MI, sent me this photo of a 1/2 blood Lowline bred heifer that she raised.  The dam of this bred heifer was an 1800 lb. Angus cow, whom, according to Dori, probably would've gone a ton if she had been fed up for the showring.  Dori stated that she wasn't very good at guessing frame scores, but you can get a fairly good idea by looking at the photo as to where this bred heifer comes up to on the exhibitor.   I was granted permission by Dori to use this photo to help promote Lowline crosses.  This photo was taken by Browarny Photography.

1 more thing... Dori, mentioned that her fitter & another woman are currently using her Lowline bull, ABF Fitz (Fitz semen is available), on shorthorn cows to produce show calves.  Dori's website is... http://www.lowlinecattle.com/     

Attachments

• Felicity2003.jpg
    Felicity2003.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 240

OH Breeder

Great looking heifer. Sounds interesting. Check Cindy's location. TJ, thank you for all the information!

TJ

OH Breeder said:
Great looking heifer. Sounds interesting. Check Cindy's location. TJ, thank you for all the information!

You are welcome & I want to thank you too, for your interest!  If you need any additional information, just let me know.  BTW, I sent you a PM regarding Cindy's contact info.  I sent you mine as well.   

I also have some research data that I wanted to share with everyone concerning the frame size, finishing weight & the carcass quality of 1/2 blood Lowline steers...

North Dakota State University's Dickinson Research Extension Center, ran a crossbreeding experiment, using Lowline bulls on "regular sized" commercial heifers.  The data collected on the 1/2 blood steer calves look very promising.  I think that many will find the results of the Lowline cross steer calves both interesting & possibly surprising.  Here are the results from 2004 - 2006...

The average frame score... 4.4 frame in 2004, 4.7 frame in 2005 and 4.8 frame in 2006. 

The average finishing weight each year... 1,186 lbs. in 2004, 1,297 lbs. in 2005 & 1,179 lbs. in 2006   

The average value per carcass on the rail each year... $1,093 in 2004, $1,223 in 2005 & $1,074 in 2006. 
That's a 3 year average selling price of 92 cents per lb., if they had been sold by live weight (on the hoof), as finished steers!! 

red

How popular are the lowlines in US? Do you have shows or Junior Nationals?

Red

TJ

red said:
How popular are the lowlines in US? Do you have shows or Junior Nationals?

Red

Yes, lots of interest!!  Currently over 400 active members.  Several own Lowline cattle, but never joined.  My membership # is in the 400’s & I joined 3 years ago.  The membership directory has really grown since then... it has probably tripled... & then some!   

Current Lowline shows...

National Lowline Show (NWSS in Denver)  This Lowline show has really grown & keeps on growing... it is now over 200 head.  (Big JR Show)

2nd largest Show in the USA... Iowa State Fair (Big JR show)

Kansas City/American Royal... This will be the 3rd year. (JR show)

Billings, MT/NILE... This will be the 2nd year. (JR show) 

Boulder CO/Boulder CO Fair... 41 members in Colorado.  Wyoming will likely bring a few cattle too. 
(Most likely they will have a JR show)

Rocky Mountain Regional Show/Torrington, WY (Big JR show)

Midwest Regional/Palmyra, NE (Big JR show)     

Washington State Fair (? - Don’t hear much about it)

Many of those shows do have pretty big turnouts for the JR show.  The Junior’s is one area that is really being emphasized, pushed & promoted right now.   

Please Note... No current shows at NAILE/Lousiville or anywhere east of the Mississippi!!  AARRGGHHH!!!!   

A NAILE show has been talked about for 3+ years & I do think that a very big push will be made to get a show going at the NAILE next year.  The only reason that Lowlines aren’t already showing at the NAILE is because the NAILE strictly requires 50+ head & many Lowline breeders in the eastern U.S. have never shown cattle before.  Also, most of the breeders that have shown cattle before, only own a handful of Lowlines.  Personally, I am going to try to get a show at the NAILE going next year & at least one other show in this area going as well.  I also kind of expect another one to start up fairly soon in the Nashville, TN area, so 3 "eastern" shows is very possible within the next year or so.   

IMHO, if more Lowline breeders in the Eastern US where willing to show cattle, more shows would be created... I have no doubts at all!!  However, by the same token, the lack of shows in the Eastern US is hindering & has hindered quite a few people from getting into Lowlines.  I can’t count the number of people who balked at buying Lowlines as soon as they discovered that there wasn’t a show (or enough shows) in this area for their kids.  That has to change soon & I am confident that it will.