lowline cattle

Help Support Steer Planet:

farmgirl760

Hello,

I recently read an article about lowline cattle and was wonderin if anyone on here raised them? There arent many breeders down here in Southern Ca and am kinda sketchy on whether they would make a good breed to raise for 4h kids to take to fair. I understand that they wouldnt be as heavy weight wise compared to the crossbred angus that is the most popular. What do you think?

shortyjock89

yeah, a few of us on here have them, and I have one myself.  I think that 1/2 blood Lowline calves would be perfect for a first timer.  There are some dang nice Lowline cattle, just as in any other breed.

dori36

farmgirl760 said:
Hello,

I recently read an article about lowline cattle and was wonderin if anyone on here raised them? There arent many breeders down here in Southern Ca and am kinda sketchy on whether they would make a good breed to raise for 4h kids to take to fair. I understand that they wouldnt be as heavy weight wise compared to the crossbred angus that is the most popular. What do you think?

I raised Lowlines for several years and now maintain a website for buyers and sellers.  It's at www.lowlinecattleforsale.com.  There are lots and lots of Lowlines for sale around the country right now.  You can also find breeders in your area by going to the American Lowline Registry website, www.usa-lowline.org, click on the "Members" button on the left side and scroll to whatever state your looking to find breeders in.  Good luck!

TJ

I raise em, and I think that you simply can't go wrong with the 1/2 bloods...  Almost all of them are extremely docile & the smaller size is perfect for younger kids.  But, the truth is, many of the 1/2 bloods are not going to be quite as small as you think.  I've seen 1300+ lb., mature 1/2 blood cows that were only 48 inches tall, but they were out of BIG cows.  I know someone who is finishing 1/2 blood steers in the 1,000-1,200 lb. range.  They may be shorter, but they are wider & thicker proportionately, than most full sized cattle.  Lowlines will also soften up & smooth out course cattle & some of them have quite a bit of winter time hair.  And Lowline sired calves are perfect for 1st calf heifers... you can literally haul your calf pulling ratchet off as scrap metal!!   

If the 1/2 bloods are too big, you may want to go 5/8 or 3/4, etc.         

I sold a black white faced, purebred Lowline bull to Paul & Gwena Coleman in Southern CA.  VERY NICE PEOPLE!!  That bull (CC Teddy) is pretty nice... clean fronted & stout.  FWIW, I sold Teddy's dam to a club calf guy & he liked her so much, he flushed her to Sunseeker & Phildon's Get Serious.  I was told that she produced 12 plus fertile eggs each flush.  Also, she has bred up at least 1 heat cycle every year... she's fertile!  She is an extremely soggy cow & Teddy's powerful too.  I think using genetics like Teddy on some "showy" Maine, Shorthorn & clubby composites would be a homerun with the calves.  I honestly don't know what Paul & Gwena would have, they also have some mini Herefords, but anything out of Teddy is likely going to be pretty good. 

Here is there contact info...

Paul & Gwena Coleman
Cross Roads Ranch
PO Box 293389
Phelan, CA  92329-3389
(760) 249-8853    Fax: (760) 249-8819
[email protected]

Below is some data on 1/2 Lowline steers...

Also, below is a picture of a 1,300 lb., 48 inch tall 1/2 blood cow...

And, I will see if I can dig up a pic of Teddy's dam (found one... it's in the post below).

Attachments

• DSC01081.JPG
    DSC01081.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 345
  • lowlinesteers.gif
    lowlinesteers.gif
    7.5 KB · Views: 309

TJ

Not the best picture of this cow (she's MUCH better in person), but here is the dam of Teddy (the bull that the Coleman's purchased).  This cow is thick, thick, thick.

Attachments

• BWF_Lowline.JPG
    BWF_Lowline.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 310

farmgirl760

Thank you so much for all your help. What do you think about breeding a hereford/angus cross cow to a lowline? Since i am only starting out in this business I cant afford to go out and buy one off the bat but would breed to my cow that i have.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reinken Cattle Co.

Breeding to that Herf/angus would make a great calf, If you pick the right bull! But shouldnt be to hard theres alot of nice lowline bulls out there!

farmgirl760

Anyone have any suggestions on bulls to use? I would have to A.I. her. also, if you know of any websites that sells it. I did look at the website that Dori36 has.

BCCC

I would have to say Doc Holiday..... There be some one on here that just happens to own him cough TJ cough  ;D ;D

TJ

Thanks BCCC!   ;)

Yeah, I kinda like this bull!

<
   <
< ---------------------------
   <
      <

;)

A VERY limited amount of semen is available for $20 per straw.  48.5 inches tall, 1465 lbs., extremely docile, 85+ inch heart girth, extremely masculine, natural thickness, sound, hairy, easy fleshing, no reported birth weights over 70 lbs. (even 1/2 blood calves) in several herds.  And best of all, he was imported as an embryo & offers outcross genetics to the vast majority the Lowlines in the US (no Admiral J222).     

Here are a couple of his fullblood daughters... 

The 1st calf was Res. Champion Heifer Calf @ the American Royal. 
The 2nd calf will be shown this fall...
The 3rd picture is Doc Holliday at 22 months, already weighing 1200 lbs...

Also check out...

http://www.kylowline.com
http://www.crosscreekcattle.com

Attachments

• Doc_Heifer.jpg
    Doc_Heifer.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 478
  • DocHollidayFullbloodHeifer.jpg
    DocHollidayFullbloodHeifer.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 336
  • Doc2years1200.jpg
    Doc2years1200.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 262

shortyjock89

Yeah, Doc is good for sure. I also like the Fitz bull that Dori had, but I think he would work better on some really big cows.  I'm not an expert on Lowlines by any means, but I have a couple other bulls in mind that would work really well for making show calves depending on what your cow is like.

Reinken Cattle Co.

Doc Is a really nice bull would be great on that cow! Also look around at some of the new Australia Genetics that have come in. Dr. Keith Hansen out of Hamton, Ia has some really nice new genetics that would maybe be worth taking a look at. We just got a new tequila bull last year that we are really happy with the thickness of calves and how thick he is, but for some reason with the tequila genetics you will see alot of calves with pretty good attitudes for some odd reason, there some high strung long necked thick calves! Ill try to get some pictures of him posted

farmgirl760

My hereford/angus cow is long bodied and i think narrow on the behind. however, she did deliver her first calf at 2 1/2 years old in ten minutes un assisted. the cow in mind is the one in my picture with her first calf.

TJ- i would love any more information you have on Doc. I am very interested.

Reinken- I would love some more information. thank you

TJ

farmgirl... I'll send you a PM.

Reinken CC...

He's too young to collect, but I've got another imported embryo, outcross Fullblood bull...  TTT Zeff's Kryptonite!  His dam is Ardrossan Nardia, who is also the dam of Ardrossan Jamberoo (They are selling semen on him for $35 per straw!).  She's a 2004 model cow & Jamberoo was her 1st calf... then it appears that she pretty much became a fulltime donor in 2006 & my new bull is a result of those flushes.  Nardia's full sister, Ardrossan Dana, is the dam of Monte Allegro Da Vinci, Monte Allegro Artusi & Monte Allergro Dante and she's the granddam of Monte Allegro Pavarotti... all popular Australian Champion bulls.  And according to several who toured Australia a few years ago, they were some of the most impressive bulls that they saw on the tour. 

And my new bull is pretty decent on sires side too.  His sire is Zeffirelli, who sired the 2008 National Champion bull!   

As much as I like this little bull calf, I still really like Doc!!   

TJ

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
Yeah, Doc is good for sure. I also like the Fitz bull that Dori had, but I think he would work better on some really big cows.  I'm not an expert on Lowlines by any means, but I have a couple other bulls in mind that would work really well for making show calves depending on what your cow is like.

Yep, Dori's Fitz bull is a good bull too. 

Reinken Cattle Co.

I really like this new Wanamara Findon Royale Bull, Im thinking I may try to use him in the near future. Put embryo in this spring of Nellie Ok5 on the dam side and Tequila sire side. Hopefully will be a awesome calf! Off subject, Who all is showing at the Iowa State Fair Open Show?!

TJ

Findon Royale looks like a good bull.  It will be interesting to see how he produces. 

FWIW, my newest bull's dam, Ardrossan Nardia, is also a 1/2 sister to Ardrossan Findon, who is the sire of Wanamara Findon Royale & the sire of the $3,000+ embryo's that sold at Denver a few years ago. 

Another FWIW, Doc Holliday is a 1/2 brother to Kintrye Robert the Bruce, who was promoted by Margo Hayes as the winningest Lowline bull in Australian history. 

Not going to the Iowa State Fair... I'm going to the NAILE Lowline Show for sure.  We may have a few small shows in this area too.  I'm probably going to KC as a spectator, but I probably wont take any cattle.  Houston & Denver are possibilities, but I'd only take 2-3 head or so.  I'd rather enjoy those trips than work too much...  ;)  We will see...       

dori36

farmgirl760 said:
Anyone have any suggestions on bulls to use? I would have to A.I. her. also, if you know of any websites that sells it. I did look at the website that Dori36 has.

Thanks for visiting my site!  Naturally, I'll have to say my bull, ABF Fitz S219.  He's sired many champions out of non-Lowline cows.  Here's a pic of one of them that has won Gr. Ch %Female at the NILE in Billings, the Boulder County Fair, the Iowa State Fair, and res. Gr Ch at Denver. Then, the same half Angus/half Lowline heifer as a suckling in pasture.  Then,  one of a half Lowline heifer out of a Buelingo cow that was Res. Gr Ch at the NILE.  And, finally, another picture of Fitz that's not on the website. He sires especiallly good, showy calves out of Angus and other breed cows.

Attachments

• Fitz-150.jpg
    Fitz-150.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 375
  • barbdoriblingcrop.jpg
    barbdoriblingcrop.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 264
  • P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 262
  • flissychnile.07.JPG
    flissychnile.07.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 252

TJ

Also, I COULD POSSIBLY sell some of my Trungley Tiger's Eye semen.  He beat the Sydney Royal Show Champion Lowline bull to win Grand Champion at an Australian Show.  All the people I know who went on the Australian tour said that he was either the most impressive bull that they saw, or at least one of the top 2 or 3.  He sired the 2008 Res National Champ Bull & Cindy Jackson owns a 3/4 blood Tiger's Eye heifer that was Res. Division at both Denver & Houston.  Tiger is also a bigger Lowline... 48 inches tall & 1435 lbs.   Below is a picture of him.  Also, a fullblood daughter of his that I raised last year.  She was 2nd in her class at Kansas City, behind the Grand Champ.  I am one of the few who has any Tiger's Eye semen, but I'd sell some of it if you were interested.   

Personally, I like Doc's calves better... Doc's calves are bigger, fancier & stouter & Doc will sire some hair,  but Tiger's Eye is a pretty good bull.  Plus, Tiger is a Champion who has sired Champions.   

Attachments

• Tigers_Eye_1435.JPG
    Tigers_Eye_1435.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 278
  • Tiggybabypic.jpg
    Tiggybabypic.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 285