Lowline Heifer For State Fair Open Show

Help Support Steer Planet:

Reinken Cattle Co.

Just wondering what everyone thinks of her, especially the Lowline breeders on here, She is 10 months old sired by Bar J Casanova. She will be shown at the Iowa State Fair Lowline open show, and maybe at the American Royal if she does not sell by then.

Attachments

• 100_3343.JPG
    100_3343.JPG
    266.7 KB · Views: 356

dori36

Reinken Cattle Co. said:
Just wondering what everyone thinks of her, especially the Lowline breeders on here, She is 10 months old sired by Bar J Casanova. She will be shown at the Iowa State Fair Lowline open show, and maybe at the American Royal if she does not sell by then.

It's really hard to tell much from the angle of the picture.  Is she fullblood or percentage?  The pic makes her look a little close behind (should stand wide, just like a "big" heifer).  I also can't see much of what her front looks like.  Can you get another couple of pics of her from behind, front, and a profile without her head quite so jacked up?  Also, if you can size the pics to be not more than 600 pixels wide, they'll fit a little better here. Not trying to be overly critical but just want to be able to make a better comment!  There'll be some good Lowlines at Iowa!

Reinken Cattle Co.

Dori, she is a 3/4 lowline. I will try to get you some other pictures to look at because she is a very thick little girl, there are some on the classified page of her under 3/4 lowline heifer for sale. But those pictures are as well oversized. I went to paint to size down on this one and did 30% but it left the white spot around it from the old size..can you help me there at all?! I have noticed you have your website of calves for sale up and going, how is that going? do you get alot of intrest on percentage cattle? Ive been having alot of trouble getting heifers sold this year compared to the last few years hopefully some people will get some good looks at her during state fair. Rumor says no sale at the Iowa state Fair? kind of a bummer beings I wanted to put two heifers in the sale but..that sale didnt go over well last year anyways.. Thanks for any help and suggestions you can give me Dori!

dori36

Reinken Cattle Co. said:
Dori, she is a 3/4 lowline. I will try to get you some other pictures to look at because she is a very thick little girl, there are some on the classified page of her under 3/4 lowline heifer for sale. But those pictures are as well oversized. I went to paint to size down on this one and did 30% but it left the white spot around it from the old size..can you help me there at all?! I have noticed you have your website of calves for sale up and going, how is that going? do you get alot of intrest on percentage cattle? Ive been having alot of trouble getting heifers sold this year compared to the last few years hopefully some people will get some good looks at her during state fair. Rumor says no sale at the Iowa state Fair? kind of a bummer beings I wanted to put two heifers in the sale but..that sale didnt go over well last year anyways.. Thanks for any help and suggestions you can give me Dori!

Thanks for asking about the website.  People seem to get pretty good action although I think the fullbloods do a little better than the percentages.  I do see a general softening of the market for the percentages probably primarily due to the fact that there are quite a few of them now.  I'm sorry about the Iowa sale but I also have to say that there are probably too many Lowline sales around the country based on how many Lowlines there are to go around.  i wonder if they'll do the Kansas City sale as i don't think it did real well last year, either.  I'd love to have your cattle on my website, hint/hint!!  If you'd like to consider putting them on the site, pm me at [email protected].

Regarding the sizing of the pictures, do you have a program for manipulating your photos - like Photo Shop Elements or ....?  If so, open your picture in that program and see if you can "Save for Web".  If you can, you should be able to specify size.  If you choose about 300 to 600 for the horizontal measurement, it will reproduce on here nicely.  I'll look forward to seeing more pics of the heifer!  Her breeding sure would indicate she should be nice and thick.  If all else fails, you can email the pics to me and I'll be happy to resize them for you and email them back to you.

Reinken Cattle Co.

Thanks abunch for your help dori! I am actually just getting into the fullblood thing I got some Tequilaxok5 embryos from Keith Hansen, He has been alot of help to me in getting into the lowlines if you know him at all. He is an awesome guy! For just being a Junior Member myself its not easy to get a herd started but it helps to have people like him around!! And I have noticed most everyone that I have met raising lowlines is the same way! Its a great group of people to get together with at shows! Will you be coming to the Iowa State Fair this year? Thanks again for your help you have a pm coming as soon as I get done writing this.

dori36

Reinken Cattle Co. said:
Thanks abunch for your help dori! I am actually just getting into the fullblood thing I got some Tequilaxok5 embryos from Keith Hansen, He has been alot of help to me in getting into the lowlines if you know him at all. He is an awesome guy! For just being a Junior Member myself its not easy to get a herd started but it helps to have people like him around!! And I have noticed most everyone that I have met raising lowlines is the same way! Its a great group of people to get together with at shows! Will you be coming to the Iowa State Fair this year? Thanks again for your help you have a pm coming as soon as I get done writing this.

I probably won't get to Iowa - just too high gas prices for now!  You have a great mentor with Keith and I know you'll be successful if you're patient!  Looking forward to new pics of the heifer.  I also pm'd you back.

Reinken Cattle Co.

Hey Dori do you like that view of her anymore than the other? Im just getting her broke to the showstick so having trouble spreading her back legs out so didnt get a real good photo from behind so you could see thickness.

Attachments

• RCC Roxy.JPG
    RCC Roxy.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 280

dori36

Reinken Cattle Co. said:
Hey Dori do you like that view of her anymore than the other? Im just getting her broke to the showstick so having trouble spreading her back legs out so didnt get a real good photo from behind so you could see thickness.

Much better and nice goin' on the resize on the pic.  She sure is long!  Now, if you can stand with  her in about the same position but stand directly across from her center rib area (so you're still shooting her profile, but you're more centered on her side), she'll look even better proportioned.  Please don't think I'm criticizing unfairly.  It's plumb hard to get the real good pics when you're trying to do it alone!  I've often wished I could teach mine to "stand/stay"!

TJ

I'm at my parents house checking emails & my sister is here in the room with me, so rather than giving my own opinion, I am going to share hers.  She doesn't know much about Lowlines except that I have them (LOL!!), but she does know cattle pretty well.  ;) 

1st, she said that if she were looking to buy, she would buy the heifer in the 2nd picture before she would buy the heifer in the first picture, even though she realizes it's the same animal.  Translation... picture #2 is better. 

2nd, she said the heifer is a little heavy in the front end for a show heifer & probably needs a sweat collar before the show.  Hard to tell about the rear end, but she looks a bit narrow in pic #1.

3rd, she said that you need to work on leg placement before the show & not jack the head up quite so high. 

Dori said a whole lot of the same things & btw, I tend to agree with both of them. 

Need some more embryos?  We just flushed 2 cows a week ago & still have a handful left.  Pretty good stuff too, at least it is IMHO. ;)

Reinken Cattle Co.

Thanks TJ! tell your sister thanks as well, at this time I do not need any embryos just got done putting in some Tequila x ok5 embryos. But thanks!

TJ

dori36 said:
Reinken Cattle Co. said:

Much better and nice goin' on the resize on the pic.  She sure is long!  Now, if you can stand with  her in about the same position but stand directly across from her center rib area (so you're still shooting her profile, but you're more centered on her side), she'll look even better proportioned.  Please don't think I'm criticizing unfairly.  It's plumb hard to get the real good pics when you're trying to do it alone!  I've often wished I could teach mine to "stand/stay"!

Dori, if you learn how to teach them to stand/stay, I'll pay you to teach me!!  You are correct, picture taking is not the easiest thing to do. 

TJ

Reinken Cattle Co. said:
Thanks TJ! tell your sister thanks as well, at this time I do not need any embryos just got done putting in some Tequila x ok5 embryos. But thanks!

She just happened to be looking at the screen & started making comments and when I asked her, she said that it would OK to post them.  Btw, best wishes at the Iowa State Fair! 

I didn't figure you needed any embryos, but it never hurts to ask. 

dori36

Reinken Cattle Co. said:
Agree with you tj when Dori teaches them to stand/stay I will hire her to teach my calves! (Dori the cow wisper) (clapping)

Hey, guys, this could be a whole new income stream for me!  I took quite a "cut in pay" when I sold the herd and don't have calves to market any more.  My website is growing nicely but has a way to go before I could depend on income from it.  Same with semen sales - I have lots of it from Fitz but at $25/straw, that's another long road to dependable income!  Sooo, "Cow Whisperer" ..... I LIKE it!!    (clapping) (clapping) (lol)