Lowline X Clubby genetics

Help Support Steer Planet:

sjcattleco

we are going to breed American muscle daughters to Bluey!  looking foreward to getting some 1/2 blood cool moderate frame calves.

cowz

The kids that do that here have a hard time making weight and it will harder when the minimum weight moves up to 1150 in 2 years.  The half  lowline calves I have seen here get really "cresty" looking when finished, so not as eye appealing with that fat, crested neck as the other half maine calves they compete with.  Possibly consider getting your fair to have a separate low line class for steers and heifers would be my suggestion. 

LazyGLowlines

cowz said:
The kids that do that here have a hard time making weight and it will harder when the minimum weight moves up to 1150 in 2 years.  The half  lowline calves I have seen here get really "cresty" looking when finished, so not as eye appealing with that fat, crested neck as the other half maine calves they compete with.  Possibly consider getting your fair to have a separate low line class for steers and heifers would be my suggestion.   
The lowline cross steers can make market weight, depending on the mama's size.  We've got a 1250 lb shorthorn cross cow that will calve next year and I would be surprised if her calf (if it is a bull/steer) would make weight.  We've also got some 1800-2000 lb cows that had 1/2 lowline bulls this year and I have no doubt those steers will make weight.  I watched the steer class at our local fair this year.  There were only 7 steers total (yeah, I know, pretty pitiful) and not one of them was completely finished.  There's some discussion within the 4-H council to drop the minimum weight to encourage more grass-fed steers. 

bwg1995

Are the requirements for fullblood Lowlines that they have to come from Autralian stock or can they get registered by height alone and what is that height requirement?

LazyGLowlines

Fullblood lowlines are originally from Australia and are DNA tested back to the original herd.  There are no height requirements...just having a short angus does not qualify them to be registered as lowlines.  Their parents must be registered as fullblood lowline and DNA on file at either the American Lowline Registry. Canadian Lowline Registry or the Australian Lowline Cattle Association.  The U.S. and Canadian registries also will allow for percentage lowlines...the U.S. will register from 1/4 lowline and up, Canadawill register 1/2 lowline and up.

wowcows

Champion Percentage Lowline female at the 2010 Iowa State Fair Jr. Show and Reserve in the Open show is a 5 frame.
She is out of a Who Made Who daughter of average frame. Seems to me when you get to looking at Lowline genetics you can find some larger framed ones and then some of the tiny ones all from the small gentic base out there. That is where your personal preference cames into play one and what you are trying to get done two!
As far as feeding them. We also have found that the half bloods will feed out around 1200. You are not going to go from big cattle to micro cattle in one generation. As far as the steers getting "cresty", not sure about that! Might be the way they are fed or genetics.
These cattle are out there to do some good. Bring down some of those monster cows, add milk and decrease bw. Don't worry, these little guys, when born, have the zip to get up and get going. They are foragers. When everything else is standing around the hay, the lowlines are out picking around in the snow seeing what they can find. Not sure if it is something we have just not got bred out of them or what but I like it.
Go to a show and look at them. You will see everything in that barn ranging from -000 frame to a frame score that most anyone in their right mind can live with.

sue

wowcows said:
Champion Percentage Lowline female at the 2010 Iowa State Fair Jr. Show and Reserve in the Open show is a 5 frame.
She is out of a Who Made Who daughter of average frame. Seems to me when you get to looking at Lowline genetics you can find some larger framed ones and then some of the tiny ones all from the small gentic base out there. That is where your personal preference cames into play one and what you are trying to get done two!
As far as feeding them. We also have found that the half bloods will feed out around 1200. You are not going to go from big cattle to micro cattle in one generation. As far as the steers getting "cresty", not sure about that! Might be the way they are fed or genetics.
These cattle are out there to do some good. Bring down some of those monster cows, add milk and decrease bw. Don't worry, these little guys, when born, have the zip to get up and get going. They are foragers. When everything else is standing around the hay, the lowlines are out picking around in the snow seeing what they can find. Not sure if it is something we have just not got bred out of them or what but I like it.
Go to a show and look at them. You will see everything in that barn ranging from -000 frame to a frame score that most anyone in their right mind can live with.

can you post a pick? Did you breed her?

wowcows

I'm bad! I just checked. It is lindeslivestockphotos.com
I put the ' in there and the web page doesn't have one! Sorry