Lut or estrumate

Help Support Steer Planet:

bhcattle

Which is better to use when setting up a group of cows with cidrs?  Lut or estrumate?

justintime

bhcattle said:
Which is better to use when setting up a group of cows with cidrs?  Lut or estrumate?

I have been told over and over that there is no difference between the two, but I definitely prefer Estumate. I can't prove it, but I've always thought I had better results with Estumate

Cowboy

Estrumate hands down -- better ovulation rate, and better quality CL's after that. Especially if you do multiple sync's per year, after a couple shots of Lut, they will just quit repsonding to it. Lut is a naturaly based product, where as Estrumate is synthetic -- makes a big diference, especially in these donor cows!

Terry

racekannon

I always have thought Estrumate was better than Lut.  I am now trying Estroplan which is much cheaper any thoughts on it verses Estromate supposed to be the same?

aandtcattle

I personally prefer Lutalyse, and yes I have been referred to as "old school" before.  My theory is this: Lutalyse is a 5cc injection, Estrumate is 2 cc.  When administering these drugs with a 1.5inch, 18 gauge needle, there shouldn't be much trouble with injection site leakage but on occasion you will have a bleeder.  Let's say you lose a half cc due to leakage.  .5 cc of 5 cc's is %10 loss, .5cc of 2cc's is
%25 loss.  This is a huge difference.  Nonetheless, I have had satisfactory results using both products.  I had a client use Estroplan last year and we had the best exposure and conception we have ever had at his place with this being the only thing that he changed in the entire chain of events.  Same nutrition, same genetics in the heifers, same semen used to inseminate, changed to Estroplan and the conception rate goes up %12!  Impressive!

hamburgman

Your lut is a 5cc because being a natural product it is broken down by one pass through the lungs.  Estrumate isn't completely wiped out by a first pass through the lungs, which is why i use it and for us it is recommended. So while you can worry about leakage, it doesn't take much at all to kill that CL (there have been tests that show scarily lower levels) and I want my drug in the bloodstream longer.