Lut

Help Support Steer Planet:

bhcattle

If I set cows up with CIRDs....

On day 7, when I pull the CIDR, how much lut do I give them?  I usually use Estrumate but had a few bottles of Lut to use up.

kfacres

ai er said:
Normal dosage of Lutalyse is 5mL.  I double it though.

why? that's perhaps as good of a way to waste money, and likely cause a cow to have twins as I've ever seen... 

I have seen ewes accidentally given two shots of a PMS, that birth 7 or 8 lambs- none of which more than a couple pounds each.

hamburgman

The sheep/goat response is way different than a cows response.  Goats are even more sensitive than sheep.  Don't try comparing the small ruminants to bovine in this case.  I don't know why you would double the Lut dose, it would be just a waste of money.  Causing twin births however isn't a viable reason to object to doubling the dose however.

kfacres

hamburgman said:
The sheep/goat response is way different than a cows response.  Goats are even more sensitive than sheep.  Don't try comparing the small ruminants to bovine in this case.   I don't know why you would double the Lut dose, it would be just a waste of money.  Causing twin births however isn't a viable reason to object to doubling the dose however.

why could it not cause that cow to develop two cl and bust 'em both at the same time?

Cowboy

Enough already !!!

Every year I sit here and see 10's and even hundreds of posts to the same subject. Here is the deal folks OK??

First off -- Cut the BS mentions busting 2 CL's to make twins -- WRONG -- The CL is a Corpus Luteum -- or progesterone producing yellow body on the ovary AFTER ovulation of a normal FOLLICLE -- which contains the unfertilized egg. They are no where the same and do toally different funtions.

Lutelyse OR Estrumate are prostoglandins - which work to regress the CL in cattle, and thus start the process of forming a new follicle that ovulates an egg after she comes into heat.

Pretty simple if you think about it all. I am sorry for the firm response here, but this subject is clearly written about in EVERY semen catalog I can recall getting, especially ABS.

Doubling the doseage of Lutelyse will only cost you money, it WILL NOT double ovulate the cow now cause anything else to occur. It will just cost you more. Follow the labels folks, they write those things for a reason.

Again, sorry for being so firm, but I post to this same topic every year, and it seems no one sees it or worse, just don't get it.

Every one have a great day -- gotta go check on a calving cow! CHEERS

Terry

hamburgman

Thanks Terry, who would have guessed that Lut doesn't cause two CL's to rupture when two aren't present. 

GoWyo

Dang it -- here I thought I could just super-ovulate my donor cows by giving them say 60 cc of Lute to get 12 eggs.  Terry you ruined it for me.

Cowboy

At least no one yelled at me, forgive me for having a lass than perfect day -- I just had a recip of mine abort a set of twins -- 7 months along, so I have an excuse if you will.

GoWyo -- you "" M A Y "" have to actually use some FSH to get that done on your donor, BUT, you still only need ONE dose of Lut -- hehehehe

Thanks for the laugh -- I needed it -- just a bummer day or me -- no real reason she did this, was perfect all along, I guess my luck just ran out!

Thanks all -- Terry

GoWyo

Terry - hope the rest of your calving season goes much better.  Cattle definitely keep a person humble.  The more you have into it, the higher the highs and the lower the lows.  Good Luck.

Latest posts