Lutalyse

Help Support Steer Planet:

kanshow

We missed a heifer's heat - I know she had tinges of blood Sunday morning.  If I give her a Lutalyse injection today, when should we expect her to come back in? 

bradycreek

Hope I got this right but it is my understanding that if you think she was in standing heat on sat then wait 10 days then give her the shot. Then she should come in within 4 days of giving the shot approx.
good luck
don

BCCC

What if you give it to a cow or heifer that is cycling but dont know when they were heat??

OH Breeder

You know these are good questions. I had a cow that calved first week of April. Week and half ago gave her a shot of lutalyse. Nothing. repeated it on Friday of and nothing since. so, I am wonfering if I need to go down the cidr path. I am not really bright when it comes to this.

JSchroeder

Based on the dates you gave, you were trying to get her to breed back at 30-40 days which is tough even with a CIDR but Lutalyse is useless for that. 

Lutalyse won't bring an anestrus cow into heat, it will only induce it in cows that are already cycling.  As you guessed, a CIDR is what you want to try.

BCCC

ok so say I have cow that calves  50 days ago, and I give her a shot of lut, when will she come back into heat?? what about with a heifer being breed for the first time???

OH Breeder

JSchroeder said:
Based on the dates you gave, you were trying to get her to breed back at 30-40 days which is tough even with a CIDR but Lutalyse is useless for that. 

Lutalyse won't bring an anestrus cow into heat, it will only induce it in cows that are already cycling.  As you guessed, a CIDR is what you want to try.

Yes, trying to get her moved up. I had quiet a few in April this year and wanted to move her back if possible. Thanks for the info. Will do.

Cowboy

Every one needs to keep in mind a few simple rules for the breeding cattle --

First -- Prostoglandin (Lutelyse or Estrumate) will only work on a cow that is a: cycling and b: mid-cycle WITH a functional CL.

Any time you inject a cow that cycled less than a week earlier or one that has never cycled , you will in most cases FAIL to get her to come into heat with that shot.

A cow that has calved say 30 days ago, and has so far not cycled, will not come in with a single dose of Lutelyse -= period!

A cow that has cycled 2 days ago will not come back in -- period!

If you feel you need to try and bump a cow forward in the calving season -- a Cidr (Progesterone based product) will act as an artifical CL. It fools them into thinking they are about to cycle back, and alot of them will before they normally would on thier own.

These drugs are not cure alls, and I see alot of quitions or comments directed at the majic drug Lutelyse. It is not a majic drug, it is a natural occuring hormone already in the cow's uterus. We , by injecting them with it, are giving them hundreds of times the normal amount present, and it over-rides thier natural balance -- tells the CL to go away, and a follicle is formed after all progesterone is gone from the system. This works well in normally cycling cows, buy it will do nothing for them unless all the above are met.

Hope this helps every one get a handle on when to use what -- repeated shots in some cows that are nor receptinve CAN, and some times does, make them imune to reponses later on. Use this and any other drug with discretion, and they will work much better!

Best of luck on your breeding season!

Terry

OH Breeder

Cowboy said:
Every one needs to keep in mind a few simple rules for the breeding cattle --

First -- Prostoglandin (Lutelyse or Estrumate) will only work on a cow that is a: cycling and b: mid-cycle WITH a functional CL.

Any time you inject a cow that cycled less than a week earlier or one that has never cycled , you will in most cases FAIL to get her to come into heat with that shot.

A cow that has calved say 30 days ago, and has so far not cycled, will not come in with a single dose of Lutelyse -= period!

A cow that has cycled 2 days ago will not come back in -- period!

If you feel you need to try and bump a cow forward in the calving season -- a Cidr (Progesterone based product) will act as an artifical CL. It fools them into thinking they are about to cycle back, and alot of them will before they normally would on thier own.

These drugs are not cure alls, and I see alot of quitions or comments directed at the majic drug Lutelyse. It is not a majic drug, it is a natural occuring hormone already in the cow's uterus. We , by injecting them with it, are giving them hundreds of times the normal amount present, and it over-rides thier natural balance -- tells the CL to go away, and a follicle is formed after all progesterone is gone from the system. This works well in normally cycling cows, buy it will do nothing for them unless all the above are met.

Hope this helps every one get a handle on when to use what -- repeated shots in some cows that are nor receptinve CAN, and some times does, make them imune to reponses later on. Use this and any other drug with discretion, and they will work much better!

Best of luck on your breeding season!

Terry

Thanks once again. Will do. Wasn't sure we thought we missed her heat. And like you said tried two shots a week apart.
Will put her on a CIDR protocol. Appreciate info.

CAB

OB, if we use a 2nd shot of Lute/estrumate, we usually give the 2nd shot day 10/11. i.e. mid cycle,ref. back to Cowboy's mid cycle comment.  Just an FYI for everyone. Good breeding season to all. Brent

Malinda

First of all, listen to Cowboy and not me.

But, I will tell you how I have used Lutalyse for years. Again, like Cowboy said, you can't overuse this stuff so use with discretion.

Like Cowboy said, you have to have a functional CL.

One injection of Lutalyse will statistically get about half the cows to come into heat. If they do not come in, I repeat the Lutalyse in 10 to 12 days. If I do not see them in heat after the second dose, I will breed at 72 and 80 hours and keep my fingers crossed.

If that doesn't work, I have someone a lot smarter and more experienced  than me put THEIR arm in the southbound end of my northbound cows
We all try to do a lot of things on our own to save money. But a cow that isn't putting a live, healthy calf on the ground is taking money out of your bank account, not making deposits.

My Dad taught me that a cow will make you pay. You can pay now or pay later, but she will make you pay. So pay up front with the right housing, feed, mineral, vaccination program, fly control, heat detection, etc. If none of those things are getting your cattle to cycle, then pay for some help. In the long run, you will get to the bank sooner.

For the heifer you saw bleeding: she was probably in heat 3 days before. Wait 10 to 12 days from her HEAT date and give her Lutalyse (she needs time to form her CL).

With all that said, I am having a terrible time catching cows cycling this spring. I have one cow I just put the third embryo in 10 days ago. She has been checkad and seems to be in great shape. But, the trailer is hooked up to the truck and the yards here has a sale every Thurs.

I am giving a couple cows until Monday to cycle on their own and if I don't see them in heat, they get Lutalyse.

Well, good luck to all in getting those cows to cycle and getting them bred.

Got two inches of rain last night and had 2 1/2 inches last week. Bah humbug! Will gladly send some to those of you in need.

Malinda

kanshow

I honestly don't know how we missed this heifer except that maybe we didn't have her with any other breeding age cattle, thus didn't see the heat signs.  I wanted to be able to pinpoint when this heat will be so we can have her with cattle that will help with detection.  I also wanted to avoid having her cycle during the show which is when her natural heat would bring us.