lutylase for synchronizing cattle

Help Support Steer Planet:

cdc

There has been alot of discussion on this board regarding the protocols for using cidrs. We havn't had great luck with cidrs and i am curious to know your opinions regarding the use of lutylase only. Also which protocol is the most successful the one shot deal or the two shot. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

OH Breeder

I use Heat Detect with CIDR and Two shots. We haven't bad too bad of luck.  I have played with some of the females settle in later heats and some in earlier heats. Now that I have synched them a couple years i am learning for sure who is best early in the 72 hour window and who is late in the window.

Attachments

• Protocols%20for%20Sire%20Directories.pdf
    34.7 KB · Views: 165

kanshow

Back in the day before CIDR's, the two shot Lute was the way to go.    We had pretty good success using this and occasionally still do.  It is cheaper for sure.      We still use this protocal on heifers because it synchs them tight enough for what we want to do - breed them within a few day period and calve them in a fairly tight window.    It does not get recips synched tight enough though. 

JSchroeder

All things considered (cost, times through chute, conception) I prefer it to CIDRs but I call it 'bunching' rather than synchronizing them.

xxcc

a produer her in montana told me that abou t10-15 years ago, they brought in a couple hundred head of Charolais cows, heat detected and bred for 3 days, Lute'd and bred for a week.  They got about 95% on the first heat.  It's definitely the economy way to go.  My grandpa always used to say "Buy Cheap, Last Long" , that has kind of gone by the way side the last few years, but stil has the effect with Lutalyse and Feragyl.

Steer4Caddy

Using Lutalyse alone will work and it's simple.  Give one shot and breed off heat.  Give another shot to rest 10-11 days later and breed of heat.  The advantage CIDRs have is that they will initiate cycling among postanestrus cows and prepubertal heifers that are almost ready to cycle but have not started yet.  This get's a few more in if they are in that situation, however,  some of these heats may not be fertile.  Synchrony is tighter with CIDRs but if you are like me, I don't want 100 cows calving at the same time anyway.

showman ne

we used a two shot protocol on a group of recips last spring. Synced 5 out of 8 close enough for et and only had one not respond. 4 of 5 took embryos

Cattledog

We use CIDRs and have had great luck.  My only issue wth Lutalyse is that sometimes a cow can get cystic on you.

tschmidt_2002

we started using this and have had great success: give a shot of cystorelin on the first day and a shot of lute on the 5th and 6th

LN

For heifers I use CIDRs and get great results. For cows I use Day 0 cystorelin and day 7 lut and get decent results with that. My vet recommended a mineral injection before synching. Used Min Max and got 19% more in heat this year than last year. I think other factors were involved for the better success rate, but that increase in high enough for me to do mineral injections again.

cowman 52

We have about quit cidor  use Cost plus the problem of just keeping them clean  Use ova cyst or cysterllin and lut in 6-7 days later-  if you wait 8 days the cows will usually cycle in 36 hrs after lut-  we use estradiol 24 aftr lut and breed 24 after that have had goodluck-

DTW

LN said:
For heifers I use CIDRs and get great results. For cows I use Day 0 cystorelin and day 7 lut and get decent results with that. My vet recommended a mineral injection before synching. Used Min Max and got 19% more in heat this year than last year. I think other factors were involved for the better success rate, but that increase in high enough for me to do mineral injections again.

This protocol works very good for cows or heifers that are already showing estrous to synch together in a group.  I personally use estramate instead of lut.  Over the years i seem to get better heats with it.  And also when working in the swine industry i see better results from estramate as well there.

George

I would agree with DTW on the Estrumate vs. Lutalyse part of his discussion.  I think Estrumate provides a much smoother more reliable heat with less "shake up" on the cows. I have used cidrs with Estrumate and cystorelin and the lowest % settled 1st breeding AI for me has been 80%  that is over the last 4 yrs.  But, this is on 15 cows or less with good heat detection, wish I could be in the 50 -100 cow business, but my "real job" and lack of pasture will not allow.  <beer>

ZNT

cdc said:
There has been alot of discussion on this board regarding the protocols for using cidrs. We havn't had great luck with cidrs and i am curious to know your opinions regarding the use of lutylase only. Also which protocol is the most successful the one shot deal or the two shot. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

I addressed this very thing on my latest blog. You can find it on our website.  www.zntcattle.com

linnettejane

ZNT said:
cdc said:

I addressed this very thing on my latest blog. You can find it on our website.  www.zntcattle.com

i use method #3 znt mentions on his blog

luv2show21

ZNT - which method do you usually see a higher % first breed AI success rate?  Does one method work better for heifers v. cows? I've had good luck with method #3 on heifers.

ZNT

Big Creek said:
ZNT - which method do you usually see a higher % first breed AI success rate?  Does one method work better for heifers v. cows? I've had good luck with method #3 on heifers.

Personally, I have not noticed any difference in conception rates between methods. The key to any sychronization being successful, is to have cattle that are cycling well. They need to have cycled at least once before trying any of the methods. The first heat after calving is a lot less fertile than the following heats.

lynle1234

currently, i can't access your blog....

I put cirds in, gave a shot of cystorelin.  7 days later pulled cidrs, gave a shot of estrumate.  I am doing a timed breeding and want to AI them tomorrow, but was told I should give a shot of tonight- to help them drop the eggs (i assume)- what and how much do i give them a shot of tonight cystorelin or estrumate?  do you think I should give the shot 12 hrs before breeding or at breeding?

DTW

I have heard of and tried using GnRh at breeding and have never thought it has made a difference.  and have been told different things from people on how fast it will drop the eggs.

The best conception rates with any program is to breed after they are out of standing heat.