MAB price

Help Support Steer Planet:

DakotaCow

I see now that MAB is now at $40 I think it will be interesting to see how the clones are marketed. I wonder if there is collusion going on or if one will undercut the other. On that note i kinda like Roger that. It would have been nice to see him in denver for evaluation but we will, have to see a calf crop instead.

Carlson Cattle

DakotaCow said:
I see now that MAB is now at $40 I think it will be interesting to see how the clones are marketed. I womder if there is collusion going on or if one will undercut the other. On that note i kinda like Roger that. It would have been nice to see him in denver for evaluation but wewil, have to see a calf crop instead.

I think its a bunch of crap the price went up beings he is still alive. i also like roger that. I think he is the best black MAB son, and even better is the best red MAB son

calves

It is pretty simple of why it is $40.00. I have heard that the semen is going out like water and there is not any on hand. The people that know the club calve industry know that MAB is one of the hottest bulls right now and want MAB semen. Top Sires just had a online semen sale tonight and it brought $43 and $40.50. Carlson how many cows do you have 3? You probably by the $8 semen and have to send everyone to the sale barn or shoot them after a month old.

Carlson Cattle

I won grand champion at m county fair last year. So get off my case. Also I bought Monopoly semen for 100 bucks a straw 2 years ago. So stop saying I buy 8 dollar semen!!  :mad:

chambero

I'm fine with paying more for good bulls.  I've always been surprised bulls are so similar in price

DakotaCow

I understand that MAB semen is selling very very well. That wasn't my point, my point is with 3 bulls producing semen, (that is assuming they are actually producing quality semen) I would imagine that they should be able to fullfill orders. My main observation was now that there are two different entities selling semen on mab will they agree on the 40 dollar price or will Matt try to take up a bit more market share and sell it at a reduced rate?Keep in mind that shortly after Denver Believe In Me semen went well over 100 dollars a unit on online auctions. By the time breeding season was in full swing you could readily purchase it for 30.

calves

Rodgers and Otto's own MAB and Otto's and Launter Farms own the MAB clones.

DakotaCow

Guess i still think of matt as part of his dads outfit. Same logic applies just substitute phil for matt.

calves

Most people think Matt is tied in with Phil but I think they are both on their own. I don't think Matt has nothing to do with the MAB clones but not sure though.

WBar Farms

Carlson Cattle said:
DakotaCow said:
I see now that MAB is now at $40 I think it will be interesting to see how the clones are marketed. I womder if there is collusion going on or if one will undercut the other. On that note i kinda like Roger that. It would have been nice to see him in denver for evaluation but wewil, have to see a calf crop instead.

I think its a bunch of crap the price went up beings he is still alive. i also like roger that. I think he is the best black MAB son, and even better is the best red MAB son

Simple supply and demand, you just need to stop commenting.

CAB

JMO, but we see it on every good cloned bull except Yellow Jacket. The original brings more than the clones. Semen supply is running very close to the bull in MAB's case, so if you want to use him this year, better get in line.

RyanChandler

chambero said:
I'm fine with paying more for good bulls.  I've always been surprised bulls are so similar in price

Me too.  It always puzzles me when someone says they won't use a bull because his semen is $50 and not $25 like most.  Like what's 25 bucks to gamble on a potentially better calf?

hntwhitetail

It is supply / demand.  I too think semen is running collection to collection.  MAB didn't start getting big until he ws 2 or 3.... so they probably didn't bank a lot of semen on him when he was younger.

clubcalf316

When you analyze a five dollar increase in semen cost its a very small increase in production cost. Five dollars more is really a small issue on high quality semen out of a very consistent and proven bull. I'm all about keeping expenses down but using less expensive,unproven bulls will be more costly in the long run.

MSweeney_199

It's simply supply and demend on it. I just seen MAB and number two clone on monday at hawkeye breeders and they said they were both collecting very good.

Carlson Cattle

MSweeney_199 said:
It's simply supply and demend on it. I just seen MAB and number two clone on monday at hawkeye breeders and they said they were both collecting very good.

this is good to hear

clubcalf316

i was just at Nichols yesterday, and the original MAB was there. I've never known him to be at Hawkeye. Maybe I misunderstood you Sweeney?

calves

MAB has always been at Nichlos. Semen is by far the best semen I have ever used to get cows bred to. The clones are at Hawkeye I hope it is as good as original MAB. The clones sure look good at Hawkeye.

ejoe326

It will be interesting to compare quality between original straws and the clones.

Maybe this will drive an increase in quality since we've had great conception with MAB and the other Rodgers bulls we've used.

DakotaCow

I'm not sure anyone actually read my post. I was not saying woe is me semen is sooooo expensive now I can never breed my cows. Nor was I whining about using spendy semen, trust me if i wanted to breed to him i would have bought semen a long time ago.  I was (simply) using that as a segway to lead in my contrast between the marketing of mab semen via rogers as compared the lautner marketing machine. I'm sure I will get at least a half dozen more comments on what the market will allow and supply and demand. That isn't the nexus of my inquiry and I feel we got way off topic from the very start. Severe sarcasm implied, semen is running low....demand is increasing with passing time. Price go up, consumer buy product at increased price, consumer still happy. Market suddenly has another supplier of same product(insert argument on clone variation here) what does market do and how is "same" product priced?