magazine ads..pros vs cons

Help Support Steer Planet:

justme

I was chatting with a friend over some ads we seen in a recent publication...  Just to start a new topic, what do you like and what do you really dislike in an ad?

My dislikes include ads with no visible cattle in it (for example of tress, scenary, ponds ect.).  I like to see really good pictures in an ad.  I also hate that I have to guess what breed you have.  If your not going to put a pedigree, make reference to what you've got.  Like most people that farm/ranch I'm a busy girl, I like a straight to the point  ad.

Boards been kinda dead lately, maybe this will spark some comments and debate.  Have fun!

Show Dad

I dislike the ads that list past winners but don't show the present calf crop. And you have to know that they had more losers than they did winners. Yeah they had one that did real well, but how did they do overall. Was the winner one out of 10 or 100 they sold. And you know now that they have sold a winner the rest of the calves have gone up in price.

The best ads are the ones spread by word of mouth. We bought our first steer from a guy we were told about. He spent an hour showing us how he trained the hair and telling us a lot of those little things that make a big difference. He then sent us home with 50#'s of feed so we could slowly change the steer to our feed. We buy from him every year and he now has many customers but he always has about 10 - 12 calves for us to choose from. He always helps the boys to choose the best ones. Will miss going when the boys age out. But will be happy knowing we have sent many his way to experience what we have.

JM - As for spice try Death sauce it's sure to heat things up.  ;D  http://extremefood.com/

Doc

I'm with you Justme, when I look at a black bull how am I supposed to know what breed he is. I also think people are wasting their money in their own breed publication if they show a picture & tell you his name but don't list his partial pedigree. How am I going to know who Milky Way(example) is by or out of. I also like to see what city & state in an ad. I see a lot of ads with an owners name & a phone number & that is it. I

afhm

I dislike the ones where people falsely claim association with a winner.  Also when they don't give an address (atleast a city and state), how am I suppose to know where Joe Blow who rarely advertises lives.  As stated before I like ads that are about the animals not the clip art and what they think are "cute" sayings.  Some cliparts or background is ok but most are getting way too far out there anymore.

Rocky Hill Simmental

How strange - I was just writing a paper about ads in cattle magazines and now we have this topic.

To me, I like an ad with a picture. It's more eye catching and shows what you can expect to see if you drive somewhere to look at their cattle. And bloodlines are important too - I like to look up pictures of some of the bulls in their bloodlines and see how they look and preform. I also like it when they list a website to go a long with it. This way you can see how some of the cattle that they don't have pictures of on the ad look.

red

I like an ad that shows both the animal & some offspring if possible. Also all important information on bloodlines, etc..
I remember when we won Louisville w/ Rose. It was funny because her picture showed up in about 4 other peoples ads taking some form of claim to her. It was really kind of amusing.
It's good to have one that catches your eye but don't make that the whole ad. Also updated pictures would be great. I get tired of seeing a bull at 2 years of age when he's been around for 8 more years.

Red

afhm

Its funny to watch how many people catch "we-itis and claim-itis" when a calf wins a big show just because they combed him before he went into the ring or something like that.

DL

For bull ads I want to see the bull (not the hype) preferably in his working clothes and the appropriate age - I want breed, pedigree, and PHA and TH status for all Shorthorn, Maine, composite cattle. I want mature weight, frame score and scrotal circumferance (yeah I know I am demanding) I really don't care if his full sib sold for a plug nickel 40 years ago or his half sib won. If there are offspring pictures I like to know about the dam - thousands of little pictures of heifer or stee calf by "Great Bull" don't flip my minnow

If it is an ad for a sale - one or 2 good pictures of sale features with # of lots, consignors and where the heck they are and how to get a catalog

If it is an ongoing breed magazine ad - tell me something about your program - it is sure nice that you won but tell me something about your cows, about your program - oh perhaps you don't have one

I know we have talked about this before and chambero and DLD have different ideas than I (imagine?!) but the ads where they show all this tiny winners pictures with bred by Frank, sold by us - drive me nuts
:)

Show Heifer

A RECENT photo (unless a clubbie bull, and then I want to see them at 15 months of age - age of offspring when they will be showing)

Don't give a rats butt about their "half brother, half sister, grandmas, granddads, etc" If you really figure it out, some of those genes gave up the hunt about 3 generations BEFORE this animal.

I do want to know about their sire and dam - just pedigree

If a cow, I want to know her calving interval.

I want the breed clearly stated somewhere.

I want the name, town and state of the owner(s).

I want EPD's listed.

I want genetic defects clearly listed (ok, I know that might be a stretch for some)

If in a sale, I want a lot number.

Wow, looks like I'm a bit demanding huh??? :p

knabe

I want the breed clearly stated somewhere.

that is the best line ever, now that almost everyone is black.  i also don't like ads that tout we bought our herd bull from so and so.  i want to see a developed herd bull.  i also don't want to see breed association ads without a at least ONE breeder advertising in the periodical, ie maines in western cowman.  perhaps i missed one.

on the positive side, i like ads that show a little different perspective, my current favorite perspective shot is from above at about 3/4 from the front.  you can still see some separation between the feet, but you can totally see the thickness of the top line, levelness.  and all the rest of show heifer and DL's comments, which don't have to be in the ads, but at least a link where one can get the info.  i like marker info that is quick to understand.

i don't care too much about full sibs, payton is way better than eli, same with doc bar and his full sibs. 

justme

I don't need much info...I'm busy if the ad has good pictures and draws my attention and is the breed I desire, I will pull of there website or pick up the phone.  I don't want to much clutter in them.  On the other side, a picture of a tree or a pond isn't going to get my attention either.