maine angus cow flush

Help Support Steer Planet:

vet tech

This cow is 13 years old and my family and I were debating on if we should flush her again. Last year she was flushed to Star Power and we got 18 embryos.She is super deep, with a massive top,and great feet considering her age. What bull would you choose? I was thinking a real maternal bull just so I could get some great females before she gets to old. I don't want any th/pha. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• cow pics 014.jpg
    cow pics 014.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 490
  • cow pics 013.jpg
    cow pics 013.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 495

Telos

Very nice cow! I think that is a smart move to breed her for replacements.

I think the question is... Do you want to breed her back to another breed (Simi x Angus) or stay with the Maine x Angus?

What is her pedigree? I think that is important.

Griswold has a new bull that is PHA and TH free and his name is GMBS Pendleton (Not proven yet, but looks promising IMO). He is an Irish Whiskey out of a double breed Smithbuilt cow. I think that would give you some maternal and you could still keep the Maine registration and possibly some show heifers. There are a lot of other nice Maine bulls to choose from, though.

A maternal Angus bull would be another idea since you already have Star Power embryos.

Turkey Creek Ranch

What was her birth weight? If you do need a smaller calving bull, we have used Morgans Direction, In Focus, Rito 1I2 and Rito 6I6 on some of our heifers and 2-3 year calvers. Those bulls throw the best heifers we have ever raised, and more are coming in this year. If you can find some, might use 1407, 878, or Midland on her also.

vet tech

Turkey Creek Ranch said:
What was her birth weight? If you do need a smaller calving bull, we have used Morgans Direction, In Focus, Rito 1I2 and Rito 6I6 on some of our heifers and 2-3 year calvers. Those bulls throw the best heifers we have ever raised, and more are coming in this year. If you can find some, might use 1407, 878, or Midland on her also.
Thank you all for your comments....I don't know anything about her breeding except that she is maine angus. We bought her a while back and the previouse owner wasn't to sure. I don't know her bw either but all her calves come around 70-75 pounds. I don't really care much about what breed the bull is im trying to kick some ideas around. What do all of you think about 3C  Macho, Carney Man, DCC  New Look, and 3D?? I just want some real nice, productive, replacements because of her age. I do like the Meyer idea but he is very expensive and I figure I can get females from other bulls (Like his sons) that are just as good. thanks again for your inputs.

Telos

Those are all good bulls that will make good cows. Macho had a good son at Denver named Sheriff Taylor that looked promising. I always like using unproven bulls that might have a future. Especially with other people's cows.  <cowboy>

kane1598

I would go Meyer 734, Who, Dr. Who or Hannibal.  She looks very impressive, congratulations and good luck.

vet tech

showtime said:
if she was mine i'd use 3c macho and Dr. Who. <hero>
I like the 3C Macho idea alot. She was A.I.ed to Alias a couple days ago so if she comes back in I will just flush her. I have it narrowed down to Macho,Maximus,and 734. Thank you all for your comments!!!

justme

If you want maternal, I'd go major's money man.  Hard to beat his females as replacements.

knabe

if i was going to flush this cow, i would flush her 2-3 times beyond the first time, perhaps even 4 times, then skip half a season and bred her or throw one of her eggs in her.

i would flush her to (maine's, in no particular order)

daine's copenhagen
gvc momentum
thriller
pc metric
ditto on pendleton
GVC forecast
BOE Re-Con 2L
LR CHILLED 144N (Hint common sense, though not limited to)
LR CHILLED JR 391R (more for common sense)
daines rasmis
hero son i can't remember

as you can see, my list is endless

and just for grins, a alberta power 20g

justme

if he was old enough I'd say Funk's Mucho Dinero lol  How about that  SD?

shortyjock89

justme said:
if he was old enough I'd say Funk's Mucho Dinero lol  How about that  SD?

Hey, he WAS pretty good...but like ya said...might be a little while before he could get the job done.

justme

lol I had to put that down for SD.  We just don't know what we are going to do with him.  I think Knabe would really love his pedigree!

knabe

hopefully money man put some pop and dimension into the legacy plus female tapering triangle on the rear end down through the quarter (not the pins, though that might be an issue too).  it's getting to the point i can see that pretty decent.  it is in stark contrast to the fear this female.

JustMe, don't you owe me a pic of one of your bulls from a long time ago?  i can't remember.  there was some ol buzzard i was interested in for some reason.  i'll have to look it up.  i probably lost it since sent mail i

justme

I'll try to find a picture of Knight Rider for you.  I know I scanned it a while back,  but my motherboard went out and it went with it.

Our bull is called Funk's Mucho Dinero.  Great maternal pedigree.  We bred Majors Delilah to get a heifer, but we got one heck of a thick little bull out of her.

stumpy

You might look into Sherwood's Red Vision. He is double clean, and he will make very stout, functional good ones. His BW is a little high, but on a lower BW cow he shouldn't through things clear off. If you want to pay a little extra I know that they have sexed female semen.