Maine-Anjou Bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

DLB

Ok...I have a question (or a few) for you maine-anjou breeders out there.  I am getting a 'bull list' together to breed 2 of my cows to.  1 is a PB maine (Power Plus sonX PayOff) and the other is a cross (MonopolyX Char).  I am trying to breed for high% maines (or PBs).  I am aware that I'll have to breed the Cross up.  I am trying to add some bone into these females (and maybe some color-for us Southern folk).  I am pleased with their mass and power, maternal ability.  My list so far consist of HAA Wisdom, Cerveza, Chill Factor and I-80(for the cross).  Can you give me the good, the bad, and the ugly on these bulls?  Thank you for your time and information in advance!

knabe

i've seen 4 or 5 wisdom's in person, all females.  very thick and sound.  i think he had somewhat restricted breeding at first, don't know about now.

cerveza is a pha carrier, chill factor might be a monkey mouth carrier.  cerveza is chill factor on bottom so maybe a double whammy.  don't know if whiskey throws monkey mouth, though he obviously is a pha carrier

go to fort worth and check out at least two fullblood bulls.  you could at least be guaranteed color.

power plus is a pha carrier, watch out.

legacy plus x 4072 is supposedly a classic mating.  if you want milk, you might want to investigate a little more.

GoWyo

We have an Irish Whiskey-Angus cow that had a spastic paresis calf out of Stands Alone 2 years ago, so have to watch that too and seems to be related to the monkey mouth issue.  Are spastic paresis and monkey mouth both recessive defects?

knabe

Monkey mouth definitely comes from cunia.

He probably also probably is a carrier for spastic paresis.

Supposedly they are both recessive with incomplete penetrance.

AAOK

FR Magic 279X. Added bone, and maternal dynasty, plus the possibility of color.

knabe

AAOK said:

FR Magic 279X. Added bone, and maternal dynasty, plus the possibility of color.

you mean he would throw red?  and i can't believe you typed 279  :)

incomplete penetrance just means variability in severity or expression

incomplete penetrance or reduced penetrance. Penetrance is said to be reduced or incomplete when some individuals fail to express the trait, even though they carry the allele.