Maine-Anjou Registration

Help Support Steer Planet:

sawboss

I am new to the heifer game, but was wondering if anyone else was having trouble getting registration papers from the Maine-Anjou Association?  I filed for papers in March and still have not received them!

DL

sawboss said:
I am new to the heifer game, but was wondering if anyone else was having trouble getting registration papers from the Maine-Anjou Association?  I filed for papers in March and still have not received them!

This is MOST unusual for the AMAA - they do have their issues but this ain't one - you need to call them asap and talk to either Mary or Rhonda - I file mine electronically and get them in a week

sawboss

The man I bought the heifer from told me that he has electronically registered her, but has not heard from them back.  Do you have a number that I can call?

red

Same here Sawboss. I filed & got them within the week. Give them a call & make sure they got them & also that they have payment information.

Red

sawboss

I spoke with Rhonda and they have my son in the system, but there is a filing problem.  The date of birth did not match the tattoo number turned in.  Also payment and dues have not been submitted.  They assured me I could finish the process myself, by verifying the tat number or having her tattooed.  I know I messed up by trusting a steer jock, but like I said the heifer game is new to me.  Thanks to both of you for your quick response and information.  Next time I will let you guys help us locate a heifer from a reputable breeder.  LOL!

red

some of my worst nightmares in registration paperwork has been through other people. There are a few that the Maines & Chi's both cringe when they see their paperwork coming through.

Red

DL

sawboss said:
I spoke with Rhonda and they have my son in the system, but there is a filing problem.  The date of birth did not match the tattoo number turned in.  Also payment and dues have not been submitted.  They assured me I could finish the process myself, by verifying the tat number or having her tattooed.  I know I messed up by trusting a steer jock, but like I said the heifer game is new to me.  Thanks to both of you for your quick response and information.  Next time I will let you guys help us locate a heifer from a reputable breeder.  LOL!

You got that right! Before you register her check her tattoo very very carefully - make sure you can read it - look in both ears - don't confuse the Bang's tattoo (if she was Bang's vaccinated) for a breed tattoo.

The Bang's vaccination tattoo is in the middle rib or the right ear - it will be 3 digits - the middle one is what we call a "V shield" - it is basically a letter V with a police type shield outline around it. There will either be (depending on the type of vaccine used ) and R or the number 1,2,3 or 4 in front of the V shield and if she is a 2007 heifer the last number is a 7.

From lots of checking in Junior shows people don't check their tattos to make sure they match the papers, depending on the show this can get you dropped to a market class or on rare occasions kicked out.

If she isn't tattoed at all (clean the ears, get a slashlight and if you see nothing shine it from behind) you will have to tattoo her - if you don't know how let me know and I will give you my sure fire tattoo method - I am sure others have their own preferences - then you can pick
;D

sawboss

Yea!  Papers came in the mail yesterday, now we are good to go, first show for this girl is in August.  The breeder contacted me from Minnesota and requested that I send them $50 for registration fees, I politely laughed and said they needed to collect it from the steer jock who is their partner.  I bought the girl as a registered animal and was not spending another dime, a deal is a deal.  Thanks again for all the help.

red

typicaly, the seller pays the registration/transfer fees. That's always the way we've done or it's been done in sales. Good for you standing your ground!
Glad you recieved them. Next time will be easier since you'll check the tattoo numbers from now on.
Welcome to the "dark side"!
Red (clapping)

DL

red said:
typicaly, the seller pays the registration/transfer fees. That's always the way we've done or it's been done in sales. Good for you standing your ground!
Glad you recieved them. Next time will be easier since you'll check the tattoo numbers from now on.
Welcome to the "dark side"!
Red (clapping)

A good an ethical breeder should automatically transfer the papers to you at NO cost to you - there is a lot of hoey (maybe that is spelled hooie?) around - glad you dodged the hooie, got your papers and it wasn't too painful. IMHO that is a lot of balls on the breeders part (hope that isn't too unPC - if it is Red change it to "nerve")

justme

I really thought that is how it is written....seller pays any registration or transfer fees.  Glad you got your papers and held your ground.  We bought one that took a year to get papers on, and tons of phone calls.  Got the papers and wrong sire on papers, doesn't correspond to the sale catalog.  Breeder said tough luck.  His tough luck now, I will not EVER attend the sale or buy a calf from him again.

Jill

I'm with you on that one, we had one we bought last May 05, I have emailed several times, we still call about once a month, we were assured in June 06 he would get the papers, we are still waiting.  This heifer was the high seller in the sale we bought her from, do you think we will be back :p, not a smart move on his part!We have 3 little boys and 15 more years left to show, do you realize how much money he lost on 1 set of registration papers.

Jill

Oops, wrong dates, we bought her in May 06 last spoke in June 07.  All the rest still applies. :)))

red

Still terrible! nothing I hate more than battleing w/ someone to get papers. I've missed shows because of it & wasted countless phone calls. Trouble is that it's not that hard to do to transfer.

Red

sawboss

I just wanted to let you know that my son's heifer is Sired by Cowans Ali 4M and the Dam is a daughter out of DVMM Jazz.  Once again this new to me, I really like the girl but I don't know much about the bloodline.  Any feedback would be appreciated.  Thanks a lot!

red

both are good bloodlines. Ali is well known for being an easy birthweight bull. Has also sired many show winners.
Jazz is out of Habanero & is an extremely good bull. I've always liked Jazz calves. Both bulls are TH/PHA clean.

Red

red

since she's out of Ali, I'd use Major's Money Man. Very good birth weight, clean front & good structural. He's had some high selling calves in Hartman's sale & from Majors. Would keep your calf high %. Also clean for defects.
That's my choice for my Maine heifers this year.

Red

shortyjock89

Jake's Proud Jazz or CCC Gold Rush are two really really good calving ease Shorthorn bulls.  They make the calves smoother shouldered and I have a Gold Rush bull..835 lbs @ 8 months...4.25 ADG since April 20th...now that's growth!

knabe

red, could you comment on the clean frontedness of major's money man?  i thought he kinda looked leathery in his picture, or is that just the way bulls get when they are mature.