Maine Genetics to build cowherd.

Help Support Steer Planet:

JR Cattle Co.

I have been wanting to incorporate some Maine genetics into my cow herd.  I have done alot of research, and was wanting to know what everybody thought.  I am leaning toward the bull Power Plus.  Does anyone have any cows in production out of this bull?  I would like to know experiences people have had with these genetics.  If anyone has any recommendations as to other Maine genetics to use to increase the productivity of my cowherd please let me know.
Thank you,
JR Cattle Co.

Jill

I guess the 1st question would be what is the goal of your cow herd, and what are you looking to add with the Maine genetics.

red

agree w/ Jill. Are you looking for maternal genetics or clubbie? Wanting to downsize or upsize? TH/PHA a factor? Color? high or low %?

I love Habanero & some of his sons. Hard Core & his sons also produce both clubbie & maternal offspring. Money Man has great females & seeing Justme's bull out of him good bulls. So many lines that are good for newer bulls. Am sure some can also add some of the older genetics to the mix too.

Red

cattlejunky

We have a mixture of maine in our herd.  I will second the Money Man  and habenero.  We have two Ali daughters that just had their first calves and we are very happy with them.  They have nice udders and are good moms.  Like they said above depends on what you are looking for.  We also have bull that is an Irish Whiskey son and he throws calves with nice bone, thickness, and disposition.

knabe

his sire legacy plus is pretty devoid of carcass traits, though power plus has some as he has produced some 5 star tenderness bulls, which obviously means some stars came from the dam.

AAOK

JRCC,
Without knowing about your cows or your intentions, I'll throw out the Maine-Anjou bull which, arguably, has produced the best cows in the breed over the past 15 years: FR Magic 179X

CTM

JR Cattle Co. said:
I have been wanting to incorporate some Maine genetics into my cow herd.  I have done alot of research, and was wanting to know what everybody thought.  I am leaning toward the bull Power Plus.  Does anyone have any cows in production out of this bull?  I would like to know experiences people have had with these genetics.  If anyone has any recommendations as to other Maine genetics to use to increase the productivity of my cowherd please let me know.
Thank you,
JR Cattle Co.
We used the bull for two years Never had a calf worth selling, or keeping as a cow plus you have the PH and THA  Factor  witch you DO NOT WANT IN YOU HERD.
I throught away the last of my semen.  MUCH better bulls out there.

DLD

Power Plus worked pretty well for us, but we got almost all bull calves. I think my father in law may have one heifer that will calve this fall, but I never got a heifer calf. We sold almost all of the bull calves (4 or 5) for show steers, and a couple of 'em got along pretty well, including a class winner at the OK Youth Expo and a premium sale steer at Houston (both last year). We backed off of using him because of his pha carrier status, and for that reason, I personally would hesitate to use him heavily for the purpose of getting replacement females and/or bulls. Other than that, I like the bull alot - he makes them nice (moderate) sized, big bodied, and sound, with enough muscle and bone.

justme

If you want females and you can get some Calberta Hustler....get it.  His females are great.  Newer bulls, I like my Major's Money Man cows.  They are super feminine and really milk.  Calving ease is great too.
I tend to lean toward more purebred now, and staying away from alot of clubbies.  Not sure what I'd do for clubbies....One I am trying is Gigilo Joe.  I think he could be the answer for the duo purpose producer.  I also love my HAA Stockman heifers/cows.  My daughter has one with a money man bull on it and she sure does milk, has the best udder on the farm, and is a really neat cow.  She'll be at Jr. Nationals in KC this year.  Her current show heifer is also a HAA Stockman and is a full sister to the cow.

ROMAX

Just had a Power Plus bull calf from a first calf heifer ,came small and vigorous,lots of bone have to see how it thickens up. the heifer is a belgian blue x angus x fleckvieh.

OH Breeder

The Maine genetics that have been very maternal oriented in our herd, although we are not Maine breeders, Power Plant, Taz, Kadabara and Red Knight. Great milkers and great mothers.

shortyjock89

I agree with justme.  I have a Calberta Huster granddaughter, and she is AWESOME.  She has some paternal sisters that are making awesome cows.  I pretty much like anything from Calberta, they have had some really great stuff.  We're using Money Man on some heifers this year, and we really look forward to seeing the calves.  Mind you, all of these animals are, or will be Shorthorn x Maines, but these bulls are really good for building herds.

Dero

Witchdoctor, great maternal bull that will produce steers that can compete when bred to the right kind of cows.

Chap

I would personally keep witchdoctor and Power Plant blood out of my maternal herd to start.  Good bulls, but they both carry some baggag.  if you were going clubby down the road it will leave you in a better position to have cows that are unrelated to Powerplant as he is in a large pile of the the bulls out there.  I would lean older, proven genetics like Reflector, Chill FActor and Maine Break.

Joe Boy

Last night I typed this and the electricity went off and I lost all... we had a couple of tornadoes in the area. 

I think most of the advice is good.  I really like Red's statement.  And several have said, "What is your goal?  What is your like?"  Without this knowledge it is impossible to tell you....

In the young bulls I like:  Gigolo Joe, Smokin Joe, and Oklahoma Storm.  I think all three will give maternal and milk plus they grow and I hope that each will do the trick to use either way....school is still out but what we see right now looks great.  Their bloodlines will give you great genetics too and calves that can go either as market or breeding class depending on the dam.

If you want to get some fullblood genetics infused into your herd, contact Mike Morris about his bull Marketman.  He is moderate, easy calving, and thick, plus he is solid red and carries the poll gene.

If you have large cattle and need to market them more moderate with muscle, bone, style, hair, and dispositions use Lifeline or Hard Core.

If you have lots of milk and want something that will be easy calving, grow, and be real stylish, Majors Money Man.

There are a hundred or so bulls I would use and not bat an eye or wished I owned....so I hope this helps.