Maines and Mainetainers

Help Support Steer Planet:

Showin a Shorty

NOTE that 25% is our lowest percentage to register; Mainetainers are 25% to 62.5% (green registration papers); higher percentage animals are 75% - 100% (brown registration papers).

What happens with the calves that are reg between 62.5% and 75%??? I was looking up what a calf would be on the Maine website and she will be 68%...will she be a Mainetaner or a Maine? Thanks for your help!

ZNT

Showin a Shorty said:
NOTE that 25% is our lowest percentage to register; Mainetainers are 25% to 62.5% (green registration papers); higher percentage animals are 75% - 100% (brown registration papers).

What happens with the calves that are reg between 62.5% and 75%??? I was looking up what a calf would be on the Maine website and she will be 68%...will she be a Mainetaner or a Maine? Thanks for your help!

What percentage is the bull, and what percentage is the cow on their registration papers?  The Maine Association rounds the percentages to the 1/8th, sometimes up, and sometimes down. 

Here is a link to the upgrade table:  http://www.maine-anjou.org/pdfs/UPGRADING_CHART.pdf

HGC

As a side note, it is on the agenda for the January meeting to change the minimum percentage for registration to 3/8.

ZNT

HGC said:
As a side note, it is on the agenda for the January meeting to change the minimum percentage for registration to 3/8.

I am all for that.  All the sires we have to offer are 3/4 Maine or higher, making them able to produce registered calves even out of commercial cows.

doc-sun

ZNT said:
HGC said:

I am all for that.  All the sires we have to offer are 3/4 Maine or higher, making them able to produce registered calves even out of commercial cows.
the original maine bylaws allowed registration of heifers out of 3/4 bulls as appendix (actually 3/8) and if those heifers were bred to a purebred (then 15/16) or fullblood bull the calves could be registered as 3/4. this was when the primary goal was to get to purebred as quick as you could. now purebred is 7/8 and maintainers are hot so things have changed. i think if you raise the 1/2 to 3/8, you would also have to address registration of the halfblood bulls that produce 1/4 bloods. imo banning them might hurt a small breeds acceptance by the commercial bull buyer who would use a halfblood but not a 3/4.

ZNT

doc-sun said:
ZNT said:
HGC said:

the original maine bylaws allowed registration of heifers out of 3/4 bulls as appendix (actually 3/8) and if those heifers were bred to a purebred (then 15/16) or fullblood bull the calves could be registered as 3/4. this was when the primary goal was to get to purebred as quick as you could. now purebred is 7/8 and maintainers are hot so things have changed. i think if you raise the 1/2 to 3/8, you would also have to address registration of the halfblood bulls that produce 1/4 bloods. imo banning them might hurt a small breeds acceptance by the commercial bull buyer who would use a halfblood but not a 3/4.

You make a good point.  Would be interesting to know how much impact this might make, but would be very hard to quantify.  Will the buyers just start buying 3/4 bulls so they can register the daughters, or will they just switch to another breed like Simi x Angus.  I don't think this is supposed to take affect until 2014, so it will give people a chance to make some breeding decisions this spring.  I would sure not want to have a pen full of 1/2 blood yearling bulls to sell this spring though.

HGC

Talking with John at the AMAA you will still be able to get a 1/4 blood foundation certificate, but it won't be a registration paper, so you can't show the animal.  But if you buy 1/2 blood bulls, you can get a 1/4 foundation certificate and then breed that heifer back to a 1/2 blood bull, and get your 3/8 registerable calf.

M-n-M Cattle Company

HGC said:
Talking with John at the AMAA you will still be able to get a 1/4 blood foundation certificate, but it won't be a registration paper, so you can't show the animal.  But if you buy 1/2 blood bulls, you can get a 1/4 foundation certificate and then breed that heifer back to a 1/2 blood bull, and get your 3/8 registerable calf.

Is this final or I this what is on the table? Thanks

M-n-M Cattle Company

M-n-M Cattle Company said:
HGC said:

Is this final or I this what is on the table? Thanks

Also what happens to animals that are 25% for his show season?

HGC

Its on the table for the January meeting.  It probably won't go into effect until 2014 or even 2015.  So 1/4 blood animals are fine for this show season.